draconius
July 13th, 2004, 22:29
I dont know if maybe I am just retarded, and couldn't get flash working for a long time with firefox, or what...but I was reading through a couple of posts here on SE about people with flash and firefox, and wasnt getting things to work...so then i was in #screamingelectron and optyk suggested that I check the FreeBSD handbook...and lo and behold...there were instructions for installing flash for mozilla...so with just a couple of changes...I got it working on firefox...

Basically, here is what i did:

cd /usr/ports/www/flashpluginwrapper/

make all install clean

So now, this port should have installed the linux flashplugin (for me, it installed linux-flashplugin-5.0r51_1) as well as the flashpluginwrapper.

After it has installed, it will come up and tell you to do the following:
If you are using a Mozilla browser, you first need to copy the linux
flash plugin into the mozilla plugins directory:

# cp /usr/local/lib/flash/libflashplayer.so \
/usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/libflashplayer_linux.so
# cp /usr/local/lib/flash/ShockwaveFlash.class \
/usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/

Next, change the Mozilla startup script, /usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla
to have:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libflashplayer.so.1
export LD_PRELOAD

at the top of it (but after #!/bin/sh). Now start mozilla and go to
'about:plugins' and the flash plugin is enabled!

Basically, all you then need to do is change the directories you copy the linux and shockwave plugins to...for me, this is what I did...yours may vary a bit...
I
root@xenon ttyp1 22:25:13 Tue Jul 13 /usr/
$ cp /usr/local/lib/flash/libflashplayer.so /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/lib/firefox-0.9.1/

root@xenon ttyp1 22:25:13 Tue Jul 13 /usr/
$ cp /usr/local/lib/flash/ShockwaveFlash.class /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/lib/firefox-0.9.1/

Now you have the flash and shockwave plugins in their right places...so edit your firefox startup script, mine was at
/usr/X11R6/bin/firefox

Now simply put the following text in your firefox script, somewhere under the #!/bin/sh:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libflashplayer.so.1
export LD_PRELOAD

I am happy I now have flash. w00t. FreeBSD works for everything I ever wanted it to do except for games. stupid windows :2gunsfiri

dkaplowitz
July 14th, 2004, 17:33
Thanks for the guide. It was great for someone like me who doesn't pay attention to what's on the screen half the time and wonders why stuff doesn't work. ;) It helped me get Firefox configured, and once Mozilla's done compiling, I'm sure I'll have that working in a jiff.

Regards,

Dave

draconius
November 8th, 2005, 22:17
FYI, I couldn't make my own little bit of info above work...so I got flash working a different way, and as of yet, I have no crashes, and flash runs nice and smooth..now if only firefox itself was faster!

Anyways, I followed the information from http://freebsdgirl.com/?page_id=550, but basically the idea goes as follows if you don't have firefox installed:

Step 1: Installation of applications

We want to install firefox and the flash/flash related applications here (if you already have some installed, such as firefox, you may simply omit it from the portinstall list)

yourbox# portinstall firefox flashplugin-mozilla linuxthreads linuxpluginwrapper

Step 2: Configuration of /etc/libmap.conf

We want to configure /etc/libmap.conf (the file that tells firefox about plugin dependencies) with the correct entries....so have a look at the example file at /usr/local/share/examples/linuxpluginwrapper/libmap.conf-FreeBSD6 (the filename may change according to your OS version!!!)
The code we are interested in is as follows:

# Flash6 with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany/Konqueror
[/usr/X11R6/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so]
libpthread.so.0 pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libdl.so.2 pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libz.so.1 libz.so.3
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 libstdc++.so.5
libm.so.6 libm.so.4
libc.so.6 pluginwrapper/flash6.so

Restart firefox, and you can check the page about:plugins and see if you see flash and shockwave in there...