soup4you2
April 8th, 2003, 18:55
There comes a time for anybody running OpenBSD where you wish to have a decent Browser on your operating system and on occasion get the overwhelming desier to piss on opera. Well heres one method of getting mozilla to work on OpenBSD. However i have not fully tested it yet so keep that in mind when trying to run it..

Lets start off by downloading the mozilla sources.. You can download mozilla here.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.2.1/src/

Now that you have mozilla go ahead and extract it to a nice working directory..

($:~)=> tar -xzvf mozilla-source-1.2.1.tar.gz

($:~)=> cd mozilla

Ok before we begin compiling it there are a couple things we need to do first.. Your going to need to change your enviroment for a bit for it to compile properly..

With csh: setenv CPPFLAGS -fno-stack-protector
With sh: export CPPFLAGS=-fno-stack-protector
With bash: CPPFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector" && export CPPFLAGS

[Soup's Note] I tried running configure w/ the CPPFLAGS set but the configure script seems to think gcc is broke ever time.. I'm unsure what consiquences this will have but it seems to compile fine without these enviroment settings..

Now we can run the configure tool

($:~)=> ./configure --disable-tests --disable-glibtest --disable-debug
--disable-shared --enable-static --enable-mailnews
--enable-strip --without-pthreads --prefix=/usr/local
--disable-accessibility --enable-toolkit=xlib
--disable-md --enable-optimize --disable-pedantic
--with-system-zlib --disable-cpp-exceptions --disable-cpp-rtti
--enable-chrome-format=jar --disable-xft --disable-calendar
--enable-extensions --with-system-zlib --with-system-png
--with-system-mng --disable-ldap --enable-crypto

You can talor the configure all you like but there are 2 in there thats required

--disable-shared and --enable-static

Now Download the following patch from our servers..
http://www.bsdhound.com/downloads/mozilla_resclock.patch

Go ahead and patch your mozilla

($:~)=> patch -p0 < ../mozilla.patch

After that go ahead and run

($:~)=> gmake && gmake install

Now we need to symlink a couple of things real quick.. Dont worry i'll make this easy for you..

($:~)=> ln -s /usr/local/lib/mozilla-1.2.1 /usr/local/lib/mozilla

Now we need to add a variable into your rc.conf

($:~)=> vi /etc/rc.conf

Search for shlib_dir and add in /usr/local/lib/mozilla

Now were lazy and value our uptime here.. Afterall uptime is another form of Geek racing.. So thats where the ldconfig tool comes in handy..

($:~)=> ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib/mozilla

Were not done yet so dont close your browser.. Next we need to edit /usr/local/bin/mozilla

($:~)=> vi /usr/local/bin/mozilla

Add this in there.

MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/lib/mozilla

And congrats you should now have mozilla installed and working..

soup4you2
April 8th, 2003, 19:07
i'll put up the refrence urls when i get back to that pc

elmore
April 8th, 2003, 19:26
Whatever do you mean Soup. Comes a need for a decent browser?

Damn d00d to think all this time I've been using lynx and I could've been using mozilla.

Thanks for the how-to d00d. I'm sure this will come in handy.

Strog
April 8th, 2003, 20:34
I have an access log from my webserver that has elmore down for Opera 6 on OpenBSD. While it is easy to change in lynx, I don't think he did. Maybe it was just that one time. :wink:

elmore
April 8th, 2003, 22:12
I liked it better when people thought I used lynx. You are correct strogger on my OBSD laptop I primarily use Opera. ;)

Just let the kids continue to think I use lynx for everything though. ;)

Strog
April 8th, 2003, 22:35
At least I didn't tell them that my log is full of IE 6 on XP from the same IP address. :twisted:

elmore
April 8th, 2003, 22:57
ahhh the good 'ole XP laptop. I know it well. It sits on the nightstand by the bed. It's the computer that gets used while watching T.V. and the last computer to check the website before bed and the first one to check it when I wake up. The wife uses it too which explains the XP :( *sigh* I wish I could get her to use good 'ole BSD.

Strog
April 8th, 2003, 23:40
I was totally kidding about XP/IE6. Completely bluffing. Funny stuff there

elmore
April 9th, 2003, 00:13
awesome

somehow I know I'm never gonna live this one down.....

KrUsTy!
April 9th, 2003, 02:25
Elmore - didn't you once say to me that the only way I'd see you using XP was if I put you cold dead hands onto the keyboard of an XP computer?? :lol:

Good thing its in your bedroom, close to the shower so you can wash that dirty XP stuff off you before starting your day...

You got totally bluffed out! Thats funny stuff!

{K}

frisco
April 9th, 2003, 02:51
The last time i got hits from a *.citi.umich.edu addr, they were identifed as netscape navigator 3.0 gold on a mac 68k. I assume it was a proxy config as that wasn't too long ago. Should set up a proxy to identify myself a a random picking from all the various agent types that have hit my website that day.

I love agent records in my logs, get to see nice things like "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; USSTRATCOM msie6.0w2kv2)". I wonder if they were displaying my website on the big screen pictured here: http://www.stratcom.af.mil/

soup4you2
April 9th, 2003, 08:08
How could you?? Busted!

elmore
April 19th, 2003, 23:48
Well soup it my wife's laptop, it's in the bedroom by the desk. It's located near the shower so at least after I use it I can take shower so I don't feel quite so dirty.

It runs quick books, my wife's VPN software for her office so she can connect to work and most importantly it runs CIV III. Because I am a huge CIV III freak. So yeah the site gets viewed some from the XP box. I wouldn't say I use it most of the time. I use it occasionally. I do check the site out on it before I go to bed and when I wake up mainly because it's there. I'd bet a lot of people up here have a windows box.

Krusty:

Yes I believe I did say that at one point. I only wish I could make good on that. Unfortunately all I can say is "XP happens!"

I do have it working rather seemless with SAMBA BTW! good stuff there.

Anyways, next topic.... ;)

soup4you2
April 21st, 2003, 11:09
It's ok i cant give you too much shit.. i've got a xp bot at home too.. but i swear it's only for gaming and photoshop.. nothing more.. i gotta get my fix of WC3 in occasionally..

bsdjunkie
April 21st, 2003, 12:24
If all you play is WC3, then shame on you yet =) It works great in WineX on linux.

Strog
April 21st, 2003, 13:35
bsdjunkie:
What is this linux you speak of?

It can also work on WineX on FreeBSD

soup4you2
April 21st, 2003, 16:54
okok not just wc3.. also generals and about 20 other games i started and never played again..

v902
April 22nd, 2003, 20:18
Opera? The madness :D. Truly I learned to despise Opera a long time ago when I spent 3 hours bug testing JS code, tried it on IE on another box, worked fine, brought it to my box and tried it in NN and it worked fine, no wonder it's so "fast", they don't follow the f'ing standards... by the way, links -g 0wnz lynx, that is all.

schotty
April 23rd, 2003, 13:46
I'd bet a lot of people up here have a windows box.

Actually I am %100 Winderz Free. Got pissed at XP back in December and wiped it (after backing up my Neverwinter Nights stuff ;D

There is only one thing I miss that Windows can offer -- Golf. Not one golf game works on Linux....

Guess I just have to hit the REAL thing more often :lol:

elmore
May 17th, 2003, 21:49
Apparently the lizard is now running on current. Saw that post somewhere on deadly.

ealwen
August 17th, 2003, 22:54
Hi my name is Ealwen.

(Hey Ealwen)

I have to admit I have a box with XP still on it. I ... I ... I can't live with myself. :cry:
I still use it to check out websites that won't view properly under mozilla, netscape or opera.

stryder144
August 18th, 2003, 00:29
The last time i got hits from a *.citi.umich.edu addr, they were identifed as netscape navigator 3.0 gold on a mac 68k. I assume it was a proxy config as that wasn't too long ago. Should set up a proxy to identify myself a a random picking from all the various agent types that have hit my website that day.

I love agent records in my logs, get to see nice things like "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; USSTRATCOM msie6.0w2kv2)". I wonder if they were displaying my website on the big screen pictured here: http://www.stratcom.af.mil/

Dang, that's a nice setup. Aren't you glad that the US Gov't spends your money on necessities? No wonder we can't get paper or laser ink cartridges. Bah! Anyway, every time that I have logged on here it's been from a W2K box from work. When my DSL connection gets put in I'll log in using either Knoppix or WXP. Of course, I'll run Moz on it. IE is way too junky for me. (Korea has a funny way of doing things. I sign up, I wait several weeks, then I pay $105 to get connected. Then, I wait a week for the data portion of my telephone line to be turned on. I love it here).

molotov
August 24th, 2003, 02:56
This is a lot easier now. I spent 3 hours dicking with it when i 1st installed openbsd, you can find a good howto at http://deadly.org/article.php3?sid=20030515083656[/url]

jedaffra
September 6th, 2003, 23:52
Hey Soup,

any idea if this tut will work with mozilla 1.4.1 ??

elmore
September 7th, 2003, 00:40
Mozilla and mozilla firebird build right out of the ports nowadays Jedaffra. This tutorial is very nice but is a little obsoleted these days.

jedaffra
September 7th, 2003, 10:41
Mozilla and mozilla firebird build right out of the ports nowadays Jedaffra.

hehehe... :oops: Cool! :)

Kernel_Killer
October 31st, 2003, 23:39
Elmore: You should give the Intuit emulator and WineX a good home and kill that XP partition. :D

Until I get the Wife's CD Burner from locking here system I have to use a partition to burn those annoying CDI images that I get so much. That and NWN since I'm too lazy to install on Linux. Maybe soon. Hell, maybe now. Anyways, still 94% Win free. :P

Kernel_Killer
November 1st, 2003, 18:23
Used the how-to with Mozilla 1.6a, and it flaked. Ditched it, and looks like I'm having a bit more luck with Firebird.