rob897
October 5th, 2003, 20:55
I am trying to install FreeBSD 5.1 on my machine which uses a USB Mouse and Keyboard. During the bootup off the CD I see that it recognizes both devices, however nothing works at the setup screen. If I plug in a PS2 keyboard I can use that, but that is not what I want to use. Is there something I may need to setup before I install this? I have checked the bios and USB IS enabled for both devices.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

ealwen
October 5th, 2003, 21:09
I might be wrong on this but I think that FreeBSD just uses a serial/ps2 mouse by default until you get to the mouse setup portion of the install and tell it to use the USB one.

soup4you2
October 5th, 2003, 21:29
--rc.conf--
usbd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"

rob897
October 6th, 2003, 00:00
The usbd_enable was already set in my rc.conf
I read online someone saying that the kernal may need to be reconfigured with some added lines:

controller uhci0
controller ohci0
controller usb0
controller ukbd0
options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV

I would have thought by now this would be a standard option?

soup4you2
October 6th, 2003, 00:03
sometimes it matters in which the order you have them in your rc.conf..

usb is enabled in your kernel by default.

rob897
October 6th, 2003, 11:16
so should I move this up higher in the rc.conf?
What's weird is if I unplug the devices, I can see FreeBSD starts to unmount the devices. Then same thing when I plug it back in.

I really appreciate how quickly you guys are responding... This is great!

ealwen
October 6th, 2003, 20:40
Does that mouse have the word Microsoft written across it?

rob897
October 6th, 2003, 22:46
HELL NO... Its a Logitech!!

elmore
October 7th, 2003, 00:46
I use usb mice, they work in 5.x with no problem. Just enable moused in rc.conf and usbd. They should work no problem.

As far as your X config goes here's my current X config which utilizes a usb mouse. Just copy the mouse section and you should be good.

http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1033

I have no experience with usb keyboards :( I would think that as long as usb is enabled though it should just work.

rob897
October 7th, 2003, 00:54
Well I got the mouse working now, but for some reason it is still refusing the Keyboard. Whats really weird is that I can turn the NumLock on and off, but thats it!!

|MiNi0n|
October 7th, 2003, 13:41
If the keyboard is detected then you need to use kbdcontrol to switch it to be the active device for input.

You can put something in usbd.conf like:

device "Keyboard"
devname "ukbd0"
attach "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/ttyv0"

rob897
October 7th, 2003, 14:45
Ok great, that was not there, so I will try this out tonight and see what happens.

rob897
October 8th, 2003, 00:46
OK I added that into my usbd.conf. The keyboard works duing the bios part but as soon as FreeBSD is done loading, I get nothing. The numlock is the only key that responds. So I have to use a PS2 Keyboard until I get this going. Do you need me to post any other files so you can look at whats going on?

elmore
October 8th, 2003, 00:59
seems like this might help you out rob

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-May/003594.html

That sounds like the issue you're having. Post up your dmesg. Make sure your bios setting are correct as this mailing suggests, and then log in remotely to your computer and run:

[code:1:ba57545259]
kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/console
[/code:1:ba57545259]

See if your keyboard works then. If that's the case then the above link will solve your issue.

rob897
October 8th, 2003, 01:48
Yeah... It works.!! Thanks Elmore, man you don't know how nice it is to be able to use my normal keyboard again.. Man this is awesome.