elmore
October 6th, 2003, 17:45
So set cups up yesterday. I setup a couple of printers and printed test pages weithout issue. I have a few questions though. Perhaps someone can answer.

I use fluxbox on my FreeBSD workstation, It has no printing manager like KDE. I want to print from firebird. Anyone know how to do this? I tried a lp -d <printername> to no avail.

I'd also like to be able to print from the commandline and various other apps. Anyone know how to do this in CUPS?

Also, I have a Mac OSX computer on a second subnet in my house. I believe it uses cups and should be able to pick up the remote server and printers. Anyone know how that works?

For my windows computers I'm supposing I need to setup SAMBA. Is that the only way to get windows printers to print to a cups server?

Sorry for the general questions. I'm rather new to CUPS.

elmore
October 6th, 2003, 19:19
Well the UNIX issue is resolved. Helps if I use the lpr command provided by the CUPS package.

elmore
October 6th, 2003, 20:26
well I got Mac OS X working as well. To print to a remote CUPS server, I.E. one in a different subnet than you, just add the Server Name var. to your cups client.conf on the OS X workstation. Printer automagically appear. Nice!

KrUsTy!
October 6th, 2003, 20:52
I love CUPS, its just great. For Samba printing, just put the default printer scheme as CUPS in your smb.conf. Picks up the printers and away you go. I use it here for any windows printing and it works great. You might be able to use the "Unix LPR printer" stuff in windows, but I have never tried it. I always just setup samba.

KDE has great CUPS intergration if you use that.

Mac OS X included CUPS with 10.2 and apparently the forthcoming 10.3 will have a better intergrated CUPS enviroment in the same way KDE has.

If you still stuck in the LPD world and looking for something a bit more robust, CUPS is your answer.

{K}

elmore
October 7th, 2003, 02:28
ummm ok windows is easy too. Just print to a url like so:

http://<hostname>:631/printers/<printername>

now you're done. Damn I feel sorta silly. CUPS is super easy. Bah! at least its documented up here now.

KrUsTy!
October 7th, 2003, 03:15
ummm ok windows is easy too. Just print to a url like so:

http://<hostname>:631/printers/<printername>

now you're done. Damn I feel sorta silly. CUPS is super easy. Bah! at least its documented up here now.

:oops:

Wow, never even thought to try something like that. Cool!

{K}