rob897
October 7th, 2003, 21:41
Ok so I finally got my system working. But now I want to start using fluxbox. According to the website, it should work pretty much after doing an make install from the port. Everything has installed correctly, however it says this:

BaseDisplay::BaseDisplay: connection to X server failed.
Fluxbox: Unknown error.

Is there a config for this as well?

Sorry for all the questions but you guys are helping me through this at blazing speeds. The standalone server was easy, now I need a desktop to use now.. with xwindows.

soup4you2
October 7th, 2003, 21:45
give us a cat ~/.xinitrc

rob897
October 7th, 2003, 22:05
Soup, that file does not exist on either of the two accounts. Do I need to create this myself, or should fluxbox have created this?

soup4you2
October 7th, 2003, 22:07
yes create a /home/$USERNAME/.xinitrc and insert

exec /usr/local/WHEREVER FLUXBOX EXEC IS

that will tell x-windows whenever you run startx to startup fluxbox.. fluxbox isnt gonna work without X

rob897
October 7th, 2003, 23:08
works like a charm.
Another question for you. When I have to use the mouse to scroll to the left and right, up and down, is this the virtual space that sysinstall was talking about? If so, how can I edit this and stop it from happening?

soup4you2
October 7th, 2003, 23:26
works like a charm.
Another question for you. When I have to use the mouse to scroll to the left and right, up and down, is this the virtual space that sysinstall was talking about? If so, how can I edit this and stop it from happening?

dunno never used sysinstall other than installing. i try to stay away from automated installers.. as you see the stuff it did to your rc.conf.

you might wanna look inside your ~/.fluxbox directory and see if there's some settings in a conf to disable the virtual desktops..

rob897
October 7th, 2003, 23:32
Thanks alot guys. I am all FreeBSD enabled now!! Only took me 2 days!