fuckit756
October 21st, 2003, 14:37
Hello everyone! I have a box running 3.3 and I do not have a fast internet connection. I would like to know if I can update my system to 3.3-stable without cvs.
Thanks

Vile
October 21st, 2003, 14:50
I have never used this but I imagine CTM should work for you.
http://www.openbsd.org/ctm.html

Otherwise just download the sources via FTP (or from the CD) and then just use anoncvs to get the latest changes.

fuckit756
October 21st, 2003, 15:31
CTM is just for -current and I want the stable branch. But I have the 3.3-release source on the official CD and the only things I need is modified files between release and stable.

elmore
October 21st, 2003, 15:56
Difference between release and stable for any branch should just be the patches. Which you can download off the ftp site with minimal bandwidth, all total patches for 3.3 are less than a meg.

That'll work for you unless you're looking at going from 3.3 release to 3.4 stable

Vile
October 26th, 2003, 04:28
Well that is not correct Elmore. The difference between 3.3 release and 3.3 stable is more than just the patches. Patches are only released for major security/reliability fixes. Things in -stable can be a lot more trivial than that and are generally small reliability fixes or other minor squashed bugs.

If you have the sources, using CVS should not be an issue since it wont download that much, just the changes. You can use strong compression with CVS too, why do you feel CVS is not a good solution for you?

elmore
October 26th, 2003, 16:06
Well that is not correct Elmore. The difference between 3.3 release and 3.3 stable is more than just the patches.

Hmmmm..

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html

5.1 - OpenBSD's Flavors
There are three "flavors" of OpenBSD:

* -release: The version of OpenBSD shipped every six months on CD.
* -stable: Release, plus patches considered critical to security and reliability.
* -current: The to-the-moment version of OpenBSD, which will turn into the next release.

Hmmm looks like -stable is defined as release plus patches.

The -stable branch is -release plus patches found on the errata page, and some simple fixes that do not merit an errata entry. Usually, the operation of -stable is the same as the -release it is based on. If the man pages have to change, it probably won't go into -stable. In other words, new device support will NOT be added to -stable, and new feature support will rarely be added unless it is considered very important.

A paragraph down it looks like they do leave the possibility open that some trvial fixes do enter into -stable. Though it looks like to me from browsing through cvsweb and looking through the changelog on my own -stable boxes that 99% of -stable is the release + patches.

I still say that if you lack the ability to sync via anoncvs downloading the patches from the errata is the easiest way to get 99% of what -stable is.

You are right here. I do also agree that if you have the release src, syncing via anoncvs shouldn't take up much bandwidth, and could be accomplished over virtually any type of connection.

frisco
October 26th, 2003, 20:04
Vile is right, there is more to -stable than the errata.

Check out http://www.openbsd.org/plus33.html (or plus.html but it's empty today).
There are some things listed as "applied to stable" which will all be in the -stable branch and some things also listed as "A source code patch is available" which will be in -stable but are also listed on the errata page.

So you might run -release, -release+patches, -stable or -current. What fun!

elmore
October 26th, 2003, 20:37
You are right here. I do also agree that if you have the release src, syncing via anoncvs shouldn't take up much bandwidth, and could be accomplished over virtually any type of connection.

Umm, in case I wasn't clear above I said vile was right. Which would mean I was wrong, it's not the first time I've been wrong and I'm sure it won't be the last either.

frisco
October 26th, 2003, 21:24
Umm, in case I wasn't clear above I said vile was right. Which would mean I was wrong, it's not the first time I've been wrong and I'm sure it won't be the last either.
My english & comprehension skills are religious, hence on Sundays they don't work, ok?

Vile
October 27th, 2003, 17:20
Calm down, have some dip. -George Carlin

Also, i like to update ports to -stable too. I am not sure how often ports are updated but I just run a cvs update right after any issue has been found, released and committed otherwise I just do it like once or twice a month regardless if any changes have been made (meaning I don't bother to even look), just to be safe.