tarballed
October 22nd, 2003, 13:28
:oops:

I was playing around today with ports and the package system for FreeBSD.

I was in the ports and decided I wanted to install a port. Normally, I would do:

make
make install

But my question is this. If I go to a port and type make and it goes through the whole deal, and half way through the make process I decide I do not want the package, what is the best thing to do? Is there a way to stop it or cancel it? Maybe after make, do a make clean?

I realize it is not being installed, yet. But was wondering what you do if you change your mind when building a port.

Thanks.

Tarballed

KrUsTy!
October 22nd, 2003, 13:40
Sure, you can just stop the compiling process...

Ctrl-c

Then you can issue a make clean if you like to clean up the work done already by the compiler.

{K}

tarballed
October 22nd, 2003, 13:47
Thanks Krusty...

I was playing with cvsup and read that adding cvsup by pkg_add was better than using the ports. I quickly stopped the make and did a make clean and all seems well.

Tarballed

ealwen
October 22nd, 2003, 14:01
I install the cvs-without-gui port as opposed to the cvs one.

molotov
October 23rd, 2003, 00:20
Also, unless you really want the decompressed source eating a lot of space on your /usr partion, its a good idea to do make install clean when using ports. clean will go and delete the source for the app (not needed, eats space unless you recompile a lot), and deinstall will uninstall the program.

soup4you2
October 23rd, 2003, 00:58
**SIDE NOTE

sometimes portupgrades leave those nasty work dirs behind..

so you can clean the work dirs in your tree w/ portsclean -C

and if you want to delete those unreferenced distfiles run portsclean -DD