rob897
October 23rd, 2003, 08:06
Just wanted to see how much is involved with updating the OS when a new release comes out. I am currently running the 5.1 Release and I know that the 5.2 Release is right around the corner. So if I choose to update to this new Release, what is the best way to do the upgrade?

soup4you2
October 23rd, 2003, 09:08
/usr/src/UPDATING will tell you everything you need to know.. normally it's no harder than doing your typical buildworld

RandomSF
October 23rd, 2003, 09:13
The best way to upgrade is to follow the instructions in chapter 21 of the Handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook). The upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2 should not pose significant problems, but read the Updating docs after you have CVSUPed the source.

soup4you2
October 23rd, 2003, 09:43
Often when you jump release #'s there might be extra steps involved.. like when i upgraded from 4.7 to 5.0 i had to rebuild gcc delete the old and then install it.. the handbok normally does not include these things because they want to keep it genreal. thats why you should always read /usr/src/UPDATING

not to mention i think i read somewhere about talk on a newer version of gcc on 5.2

Quote from daemonnews

Alexander Kabaev says that since GCC 3.2.x branch is closed in FSF repository and no further releases are planned off the 3.2 branch, it was decided that switching to a more recent and actively maintained GCC 3.3+ is necessary. The system compiler upgrade is in 5.2 TODO list. GCC 3.3+ will be a system compiler throughout RELENG_5 lifetime.

so with this in mind just your standard steps indicated in the handbook will not suffice extra steps will need to be made.

RandomSF
October 23rd, 2003, 09:47
soup4you2, did you do a clean install of 5.x, or just upgrade 4.8? I did the fresh install and then restored the files in my home directory, in order to get UFS2.

soup4you2
October 23rd, 2003, 09:49
When 5.0 origionally came out i updated off 4.7

then after a long time my hard drive crashed and just re-installed w/ 5

btw welcome to the forums

RandomSF
October 23rd, 2003, 09:53
See? They wanted you to do a fresh install! :D OK, so maybe it was a coincidence :lol:

And thanks for the welcome.

soup4you2
October 23rd, 2003, 10:38
you should never have to do a full install.. afterall whats the motto.. once you install it you should never have to install it again..

updating is no prob as long as you read the docs..

as for wiping just for UFS2.. why not just copy your data to a spare slice and re-create your area w/ UFS2 then move it on back.. repeat for each slice you want on UFS2

i didnt start using UFS2 until later down the line.. i wanted to keep compatability w/ 4x branches in case i wanted to revert back to the 4x branch.. plus when something is as new as that i wanted to hear stories over time to hear about gripes or bonuses.. but overall i've been really pleased w/ 5.1, 5.0 had some issues i really didnt care for.. but 5.1 has been rock solid..