ealwen
October 24th, 2003, 19:04
Ok I have a cisco router I want to console to and I haven't ever done it from a BSD box. I remember from somewhere that minicom is a program that is like hyperterminal, but I wanted to ask what other people have used to console up to a cisco router via the serial port. Any suggestions?

Kernel_Killer
October 24th, 2003, 19:23
I personally like cu better than minicom. Nothing like a quick 'cu -l cuaa0 -s 9600'.

Strog
October 24th, 2003, 20:36
I personally like minicom but cu is good too. The more I use serial the more I like it.

bmw
October 24th, 2003, 22:25
The more I use serial the more I like it.
Oh, wow! You wanna buy my paper-tape reader then? Runs at a blinding 110 baud. 7 data, two stop bits (Teletype standard). I've even hacked up a 20mA current-loop to RS-232 converter so you can connect it to a normal 25 or 9-pin DB connector on a PC.

Serial is way kewl. You can run UUCP over it, or SLIP/CSLIP/PPP for some real TCP/IP. And if you get tired of async serial, you can check out synchronous serial and go wild with X.25.

Shame that serial ports are disappearing off new PCs. USB just isn't as fun. 'Course it's sure damned fast ...

Kernel_Killer
October 25th, 2003, 11:18
You have some specs on that tape reader?