jedaffra
November 11th, 2003, 18:56
Hey y'all,

I'm attempting my first openbsd install thru vmware. I'm unsure how well vmware insulates me from my choices during the install. For example, I've maxed the virtual machine settings in vmware for this install at 2GB. So when the OpenBSD install askes if I want to use *all* of wd0 for the install, am I going to erase the entire disk or does *all* in this case only count the 2GB's of the virtual machine? I'm worried about blowing away the host windows OS (flame at will).

hope this makes sense, and thanks,

J

Kernel_Killer
November 11th, 2003, 19:00
It's using a 2GB virtual partition, so only the 2GB. Don't answer [all], and do a 'p m' to see the size of the partition to ease the paranoia. :D

frisco
November 11th, 2003, 19:00
Only the 2 gb. Plus, with the way vmware works, all that 2gb wont get used at once. vmware only lets the host os access what you've allocated it. (incidentally, you can assign a full disk if you want)

jedaffra
November 11th, 2003, 19:15
Don't answer [all], and do a 'p m' to see the size of the partition to ease the paranoia.

I did a 'p m' and it came up all zero's across the board. This should ease my paranoia yes :) :?:

Plus, with the way vmware works, all that 2gb wont get used at once. vmware only lets the host os access what you've allocated it.

What do mean - would you illustrate with an example?

(incidentally, you can assign a full disk if you want)

Is this the prefered way to go? what are the pros and cons of such a config?

Thanks alot!!!

J

frisco
November 11th, 2003, 21:57
I did a 'p m' and it came up all zero's across the board. This should ease
my paranoia yes :) :?:

If it were me i'd check the dmesg and verify that the disk it saw was 2gb.

Plus, with the way vmware works, all that 2gb wont get used at once. vmware only lets the host os access what you've allocated it.

What do mean - would you illustrate with an example?

I have 8 instances of vmware running on one machine, each with 4gb virtual disks assigned to them. The total disk space used on the target machine, however, is only 8.6gb.

(incidentally, you can assign a full disk if you want)

Is this the prefered way to go? what are the pros and cons of such a config?

I believe it will allow for faster disk access. I wouldn't do it unless you need to.

jedaffra
November 12th, 2003, 08:29
:idea:
:)

Thanks guys.

J

jedaffra
November 15th, 2003, 19:51
Anyone ever get X running inside of a VMWare session of OpenBSD?

Kernel_Killer
November 15th, 2003, 20:24
Are you using the vmware driver in X? Can't remember if Open had it or not, but xf86cfg -textmode will show it in the list if it is.

oenone
December 4th, 2003, 09:54
here is a very good howto install openbsd on vmware...
http://www.jan.exss.de/vmware/openbsd/index.html
it's german, but a (mostly) translated english version is available.

i didn't use it to install openbsd on my vmware (running in linux), but it helped me to get a higher resolution in X :)

cu
oenone

jedaffra
December 4th, 2003, 10:13

Thanks for the link oenone :) I'll take a look at that over the holidays and let y'all know how I made out.

jedaffra
February 9th, 2004, 08:42
http://www.jan.exss.de/vmware/openbsd/index.html
it's german, but a (mostly) translated english version is available.

I finally got around to tinkering with this setup and got it working great last night - woohoo :)

Thanks again for the link