Atlas
November 18th, 2003, 14:22
I finally took the plunge and turned my Dell Inspiron 8100 into an all FreeBSD, all the time box. I'm loving the performance improvement over the Windows 2000 installation and so far I've managed to get the nVidia drivers working and sound functioning along with wireless ethernet and DMA on the DVD drive. You would think I would be happy, but being the perfectionist I am, I have a few things left to resolve and need some help from the experts:

1) Whenever I open FireBird or Mozilla 1.5 while playing an MP3, the sound card freezes and starts making a buzzing noise that can't be stopped until X is manually killed as soon as I try to type within the window (Address bar, Google search, form, etc). It doesn't matter what player I'm using (Kaboodle, xmms) and it happens with Konqueror, too, except it happens immediately upon rendering an HTML page and doesn't wait for me to start typing. Anyone have any suggestions?

2) I would really like to enable hibernation support but I've now found that I need a hibernation partition for non-Windows hibernation. Can I add this partition from within FreeBSD without doing a reinstall and what is the proper type for the partition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please keep it as simple as possible as I'm still getting my feet wet. Thanks!

Atlas
November 18th, 2003, 22:08
Oh, and one more thing: to be able to use the laptop battery monitor in KDE, I have to chmod 777 /dev/apm and execute "apm -e enable" (as root). Is there any way to avoid this?

Atlas
November 20th, 2003, 19:48
I managed to figure out the sound problem; by increasing the number of virtual channels using sysctl, I no longer have troubles with music freezing.

sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
sysctl hw.snd.maxautovchans=4

elmore
November 20th, 2003, 20:08
Glad to hear that Atlas. Sorry you haven't gotten a reply from anyone. I've been in and out lately due to the upcoming holidays next week and I suppose others are the same way.

Krusty did say he was gonna look at this thread though so maybe he'll get back to you on some of your other issues.