soup4you2
December 5th, 2003, 13:40
Ok i'm having some sort of hardware issue going on.. Could anybody recommend any good hardware diagnostic utilities in the ports collection. I've got a ton of DOS based ones but i would like to try to keep the server online while running these tests..

Looking for utilities to test:

Memmory
Hard drives
Mainboard
And anything else that might be helpful..

Thanks in advance.. this is really starting to drive me crazy and it's the highest on my priority list.

frisco
December 5th, 2003, 14:01
Memmory

memtest86

Hard drives

bonnie, iozone, and dd (try filling up the disk multiple times). Depending on your OS, you may have some ATA diagnostic utils as well, like OpenBSD has atactl.

Compiling kernels pretty much stresses the whole machine too.

Thanks in advance.. this is really starting to drive me crazy and it's the highest on my priority list.

What's the problem you're seeing? Between all the regulars here on se, i bet we've seen 99% of all hardware errors out there.

soup4you2
December 5th, 2003, 14:19
What's the problem you're seeing? Between all the regulars here on se, i bet we've seen 99% of all hardware errors out there.

Well it started a few days ago.. I went on one of my pc's to play on the web and i kept getting 404 pages. So i hoped over to my server to discover that it had locked up.. So i was like poop. and restarted it. Played on the net and woke up the next morning to discover that it had locked up again. So i restarted it and went to work and was planning on looking into it once i got home. only to dicsover once i got to work it had locked up again. There's been no major config changes lately other than the bind patch.

So once i got home i decided to kill any un-needed processes. That didnt seem to help it locked up a few hours later. So i when i restarted it this time i got a bios error message talking about the slave device on the secondary channel. next reboot the message went away. So i started thinking possible drive failure. I booted it up and unmounted 3 non-essential drives and things seemed to be working ok.. or at least i thought that. i commented the drives out of the fstab. and it ran for about a day. then it locked up again. Also yesterday in thought that the bind patch might have borked me i did a full buildworld and buildkernel which no problems. So i'm thinking when i get home this evening to run memtest-86 on it and i have a nice drive checking app that does surface scans without writing to the drives.

I used to work in a pc repair lab so i've seem a fair amount of issues also.. but i was just hoping fbsd would be nice and have some package to test your hardware.. Guess i'll do it the normal way..

opus
December 5th, 2003, 21:04
Soup,

Check out the ultimate boot CD...didnt I read that from your site. It has load of tests you can run.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

silverlokk
December 6th, 2003, 06:09
Could be something as simple as a heating problem.

Regards.

soup4you2
December 6th, 2003, 14:37
Soup,

Check out the ultimate boot CD...didnt I read that from your site. It has load of tests you can run.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

ya that was posted there.. i've made one for myself a long time ago thats 100% better than the ultimate boot cd.. was just hoping i could keep multi-user up while doing these..

i've tested the memmory, drives now and their fine.. i'm going to replace the cpu and motherboard today and hope that fix's it..

opus
December 6th, 2003, 15:58
This is getting to sound like getting your car fixed......piece by piece. Curious to know what the issue is.....waiting with baited breath. :D

soup4you2
December 6th, 2003, 19:29
Just replaced the motherboard and cpu.. lets see how it handles...

Kernel_Killer
December 7th, 2003, 02:35
What were the symtoms you were getting anyways Soup?

soup4you2
December 7th, 2003, 12:53
What were the symtoms you were getting anyways Soup?

it would just lockup.. no error msgs nothing.. even ran tcpdumps to make sure nothing across the net was locking me up..

Seems stable now.. hasnt locked up since i replaced the MB and cpu.

soup4you2
December 11th, 2003, 09:02
Issue Solved... heh.. It ended up being mod_throttle for apache. Whenever a vhost would reach it's quota limit and enter the red zone it would lock up the box..

you dont wanna know the hell i went though to figure that out.