p-chan
December 7th, 2003, 13:49
I just brought the old laptop up to 4.9-Stable using cvsup and following the hand book, and I'm haveing a few problems that I can't figure out.

First off its not starting pccardd at boot. I double checked and pccard_enable="YES" is in rc.conf. And running sysinstall confirms that pccard support is enabled.

Second shutdown -p isnt working. The kernel was build with device apm and it finds the apm bios durring boot. apm_enable="YES" is also in rc.conf and it gives me the battery status and what not if I run apm.

Third when I try to run portupgrade I get the error /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libruby.so.16" not found. That file exists in /usr/local/lib, how do I let the system know its there.

Also it still can't find the sound card, but I was expecting that.

There are a few new unknown messages in dmesg now:
unknown: <PNP0c01> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
unknown: <SMCf010> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources
unknown: <CSC0000> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources

With 4.8-Rel it only listed several, which I assumed were the sound card midi and game controler. How do I find out what these are? I will guess that one of them is the pccard nic.

I assume most of these problems were caused my me not doing mergemaster right. It was 3:30am by the time I finished building the world and the new kernel.

andy

Playing around with it some more I find that syslogd isn't running, along cron and it looks like just about all the other local daemons. I guess one of the rc scritps got hosed? Any guesses on what I did/didn't do to cause this?