soup4you2
December 7th, 2003, 23:45
Ok i decided to give NetBSD a try..

I've really got a good hang of it.. but i'm trying to figure out how netbsd does the equivilent to a portupgrade on freebsd..

Anybody care to help?

soup4you2
December 7th, 2003, 23:58
figured it out...

pkg_chk

then make update in the pkgsrc dir for that app

bmk1st
January 20th, 2005, 12:46
I'm using NetBSD 2.0 for first time. I want to update pkgsrc and I tried 'make update' for pkg_install. I ran into errors and I'm not sure what to do.

===> Installing for pkg_install-20050106
===> pkg_install-20041209 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
*** If so, you may use either of:
*** - "pkg_delete pkg_install-20041209" and "/usr/bin/make reinstall" to upgrad
e properly
*** - "/usr/bin/make update" to rebuild the package and all of its dependencies
*** - "/usr/bin/make replace" to replace only the package without re-linking
*** dependencies, risking various problems.
*** Error code 1
I can't do first solution, pkg_delete pkg_install-20041209, because the message said 'Package `pkg_install-20041209' is marked as not for deletion'

What should I do?

Strog
January 21st, 2005, 14:56
One of pkgsrc's annoyances is the fact that it removes all the affected packages and rebuilds from there. This isn't too bad most of the time but it can become a huge hassle if you update something everything else depends on. It can be an issue on servers at times too.

There is a package called pkg_comp which lets you build packages in a chroot so you don't mess with your currently installed packages. I found a nice article (http://www.bsdfreak.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1) on bsdfreak about doing this. I later came across an update script (http://www.coolfactor.org/~gavan/update/) that builds packages in the chroot and installs them when they are done. Building your packages this could make it work a lot smoother.

Pkgsrc and OpenBSD ports do a fake install when building to create a package and then uses pkg_install to actually install the package. FreeBSD on the other hand, installs directly from the port. There's pros and cons to each approach but you should use knowledge to your advantage. I like to share out my /usr/ports/package directory on my OpenBSD play/build box and then mount it from my firewall. This allows me to use my fast machine to build and I don't need a compiler on the firewall. :squarewin