v902
January 9th, 2004, 01:13
I'm getting off my lazy butt and again trying to get an MTA up, bassicly I'm using the postfix1 port on FreeBSD, postfix starts but it doesn't bind, ie I can telnet to port 25, but whatever I send (HELO, EHLO, etc.) doesn't work, I am root, this is my postconf -n output:

command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
config_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
default_destination_concurrency_limit = 10
header_checks = regexp:/usr/local/etc/postfix/header_checks
home_mailbox = Maildir/
local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/local/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
message_size_limit = 5000000
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
mydomain = zemos.net
myhostname = sig11.zemos.net
mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/24, localhost, 127.0.0.1
mynetworks_style = host
myorigin = $myhostname
newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = no
recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical-receive
relay_domains = $mydestination, 127.0.0.1
sample_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
sendmail_path = /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = maildrop
unknown_client_reject_code = 450
unknown_hostname_reject_code = 554

All of my files postfix related files can be found at http://sig11.zemos.net/postfix

Thanks for the help.

bmw
January 9th, 2004, 08:29
This looks wrong ...

[code:1:4cfce28091]mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/24, localhost, 127.0.0.1[/code:1:4cfce28091]

Remove redundant "localhost", add a netmask on 127.0.0.1, to make it:

[code:1:4cfce28091]mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/24, 127.0.0.1/8[/code:1:4cfce28091]

After that--simplify!

The best way to debug fundamental Postfix problems is go back to the stock config. Postfix can work right out of the box; ie no edits to main.cf. Just try that first to see if it's listening on port 25 and accepting mail for local users. Then start changing the config, testing after every few changes.

If you need to see if it's listening on 25, check "netstat -a", you should see this ...

[code:1:4cfce28091]root@smg 7:50am # netstat -a | grep smtp
tcp4 0 0 *.smtp *.* LISTEN[/code:1:4cfce28091]

[more thoughts ...]

Since this is on an external host, do you have any pf, ipf, or ipfw rules that could conflict with port 25?

Off-topic, but you have some funky stuff in your canonical maps and aliases. I think you need to review that stuff to make sure it's doing what you require. It looks way over-complicated and with possible conflicts.

Remove blank lines from the header-checks regex files. I don't think PF likes empty lines in regex files.

v902
January 9th, 2004, 11:06
Yeah, I always though I was screwing those files up :D I'll check them out and try to fix it, I just put in main.cf.default as main.cf and started screwing with it and it's working so far with the basic changes, so I'll keep going with little steps and seeing if it still works, thanks bmw

[edit]

Figures, I try to plug in my canonical stuff and I get the problem, anyone can to contribute an example canonical/canonical-recieve file? :D

[edit2]

I re-updated sig11.zemos.net/postfix if anyone wants to take a second look :P