Atlas
January 23rd, 2004, 17:30
I'd really like to be able to play a few Windows games under FreeBSD. I've got WineX3, but I really have no idea how to implement it without Linux. Is there a howto out there somewhere on running Linux apps? I've poked around, but apparently I haven't been asking Google the right questions.

socomm
January 23rd, 2004, 20:48
From transgaming's website:

WineX and FreeBSD

There has occasionally been interest for TransGaming to produce a version of WineX for FreeBSD. To this end the WineX development mailing list (winex-devel@lists.sourceforge.net) has occasionally seen source patches. In the last year there have been patches from Rod Taylor and more recently, Seth Kingsley, to make WineX compile on FreeBSD. Given that porting WineX to FreeBSD has had enough seconders to reach the polls on two different occasions, we thought that it would be worthwhile putting some effort into producing an experimental version of WineX for FreeBSD.

To this end, TransGaming has taken Rod and Seth's patches to the point where WineX should now build on the FreeBSD 5.1-current. This code will be submitted to the tree shortly. We hope that the FreeBSD community will continue to help us debug and improve the support through patches and bug reports to the development mailing list. If you wish to subscribe to the mailing list you can do so from our SourceForge project page.

Also Kenneth Culver got winex (http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=89fa8263258a5234fafaf607a185724e&threadid=17563&goto=nextoldest) working with warcraft 3 awhile back.

Atlas
January 23rd, 2004, 22:05
In the obvious place, of course. Thanks!