elmore
February 7th, 2004, 21:17
We now have a front page! Needs some more work still but it's at least a front page! About time I got off my arse and did something about that!

socomm
February 7th, 2004, 21:32
You may want to scale down the Screaming Electron logo, or even better move it up to the header section.

bmw
February 8th, 2004, 11:43
Excellent Elmore!

But you know what excites me most about your front page? The RSS syndication URL. I immediately added that to my XML newsreader. That's a huge win. (I hope it syndicates more than just the front page!)

Coupla suggestions:

- on the front page, it took me a while to locate the link to the forums. You should empahsize it more. Especially the word "forum".

- you should add a link back to the front page from the forum pages.

bmw
February 8th, 2004, 11:49
Hmmm, the "archives" links don't work. When I read the RSS feed, it gives me this broken (404) link to read:

http://screamingelectron.org/archives/000003.html

When I click on Archives Feb on the FP, I get another 404 link.

elmore
February 8th, 2004, 11:57
It's not all working yet bmw. It will be soon though.

elmore
February 8th, 2004, 20:53
OK fixed the main logo so it's now in the headers. Also put a link to the forum on top of the page.

rss newsfeeds still need to be fixed up to include the forum, I'll work on that when I get home this evening and the serch needs to search the main site. Hopefully I'll get something worked out on that later tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone else see anything that needs to be done?

I was thinking about putting a photo gallery up for people to add screenshots and pictures of their geek bunkers. In addition I was also thinking about adding a photo gallery for S.E. get togethers.

What else?

Oh yeah BTW if anyone wants me to link to them in the links section of the front page I'd be happy to.

socomm
February 8th, 2004, 21:45
OK fixed the main logo so it's now in the headers.

Anyone else see anything that needs to be done?

I was thinking about putting a photo gallery up for people to add screenshots and pictures of their geek bunkers.

I hate to nitpick but the logo is too big for the header, try scaling it down to half the size.

Also I think adding a section where users can post screenshots, and pictures, would be a cool idea but it should be limited to people with a certain amount of post (IE: 100+).

blackmilk
February 8th, 2004, 21:51
How about including a similiar search function for sister sites like bsdhound.
WebIRC??
Links on the forum pages to take you back to the front page.
Have an affiliates page for those interested in becoming sister sites

The padding on the var right column seems a lil wierd, especially with the border not really having any padding..

Not really an issue... the logo on the front page, changing it would deem it incorrect though, the background would only be relevant if it was a flag... as i see on ur merchandise, the background really isn't part of the logo, it only emphasises it, so maybe changing the background of the logo to the same as the background on the page?

i like the photo gallery idea, opus and strog use nice galleries!

elmore
February 8th, 2004, 23:29
I hate to nitpick but the logo is too big for the header, try scaling it down to half the size.

Also I think adding a section where users can post screenshots, and pictures, would be a cool idea but it should be limited to people with a certain amount of post (IE: 100+).

I agree socomm but the image doesn't look right scaled down at least when I scale it and I've bothered Jedaffra enough lately to ask him to whip up another one for the front page. So for now I think it'll be fine.

Kernel_Killer
February 8th, 2004, 23:47
the background really isn't part of the logo

You need to switch browsers. Mozilla Firebird is a good choice. IE will not show the transperancy in the PNG formatted images. That would be the reason behind the padding problem as well. It's what some call a "clusterf&@k". IE and Netscape format browsers just don't show the same.

soup4you2
February 9th, 2004, 09:42
i'm still in need of a SE banner in green and black..

soup4you2
February 9th, 2004, 19:32
what system are you using on your frontpage? i've seen it before but never bothered to check out what i was..

socomm
February 9th, 2004, 20:38
movabletype (http://movabletype.org/)