Pleeb0101
February 24th, 2004, 18:51
I'm back already! :P

Just some quick questions, none of them in dire need of answering, they'd just make life a bit simpler.

1) I have a firewire cdrom drive. FreeBSD picks it up as soon as it's plugged in and recognizes it just fine. Now, since it's basically NEVER used, I don't want to add anything to fstab, because it's silly(in my mind) and it makes fstab give errors on boot. I wonder if there's a way to tie the OS's detection of the CDRom to some sort of automount? The laptop is shared with my girlfriend and I somehow imagine she'd not always remember
mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0 /cdrom and that's only if I give her the root password..........

2) For the convinience of aforementioned girlfriend, I'd like her account to go straight into KDE on login. I thought that maybe startkde in .xinitrc and startx in .login would be enough, being the lazy bastard I am, but no. Simple way to do this? Looking around I saw some talk of changing default runlevels, but none that pertained to FreeBSD(the files didn't exist) and really I'd prefer regular logins for myself and root. Can default runlevels be set on a user-by-user basis? If so in which file and how do you do it?

Thanks you for time!

Strog
February 25th, 2004, 13:00
There's no reason not to put it in the fstab. Just use the noauto option and it won't try to mount on boot. This way you can setup all your options one time. Then you just mount /cdrom (or where ever you setup for a mountpoint).

Put vfs.usermount=1 in your /etc/sysctl.conf and users can mount as long as your remembered to set the permissions on the mount point for them (chown/chmod it for them).

Alternately you can setup sudo to give her access to it. Newer sudo uses the user's password instead of root or you can set it up to not need a password for that user or group.

Check AMD (Auto Mounter Daemon) on FreeBSD. It can be used to mount/dismount CDROMs/NFS shares/etc. transparently. I played with it some during the FreeBSD 4.x series but haven't played with it for a while since I really didn't need it too bad. I should really look at it again. The automounter on OS X has reminded me how nice that can be.

You can load kdm in your /etc/ttys. Then edit your /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc to setup a user/password for autologin.

Pleeb0101
February 26th, 2004, 13:55
Yeah, a rudimentary check of man fstab would have shown me the way to the noauto option.... Also got it working for non-privileged users, after a small tussle caused by my skimming rather than READING the instructions :oops: AMD seems a bit worse off though, lotsa reading before I can grasp what to do... Oh well, not like I have a LIFE! :wink: Thanks for the help though.