ealwen
March 11th, 2004, 03:36
So I was bored and thought I would run Doom a bit, but of course Doom (the original) requires that I put my display down to 8bpp. I really don't like having to put down my color depth just to play a game so I did some googling and found doomlegacy (/usr/ports/games/doomlegacy). I do the make and it runs fine but when I try run doom legacy it just flashs a window and dies. Anyone tried this port? It put the game in /usr/local/doomlegacy and the executable is llxdoom. I did have a small problem to start with it saying it couldn't find the doom.wad, doom1.wad or doom2.wad but the directory had a doom3.wad so I just linked it.

socomm
March 11th, 2004, 11:03
You'll need the wad from the original game or share-ware (http://doomworld.com/pageofdoom/shareware.html) version. Install either version, and copy it's wad into /usr/local/doomlegacy and you're set.

ealwen
March 11th, 2004, 16:13
I just copied over the doom1.wad file from the doom port (/usr/local/share/doom) to the doomlegacy directory. Works good now. Weird that they don't include a usable wad file. :?: Plus the error message didn't say to not use the doom3.wad file, I found that out after doing some googling for a while. Thanks socomm for the answer.

Pleeb0101
March 13th, 2004, 12:07
They can't include a usable wad-file because it would be illegal. It's the actual content of the game, and ID has only released the source code(and not even all of it, the sound engine is tied up with some other companies IP).

Of course, They could always release someones home-made wad...

ealwen
March 15th, 2004, 01:46
Er, well I didn't mean a real version, I meant why didn't they bundle the shareware wad file with the doomlegacy port is all. Kinda gimp that they include a wad file that doesn't work and isn't even the shareware one.

socomm
March 15th, 2004, 11:02
Wolfenstein 3D, /usr/ports/games/wolf3d, is installed with it's shareware wad. You might wanna give Wolf3D a try, not that bad of a game ;).

ealwen
March 17th, 2004, 04:25
Already finished doom and I found a doom2.wad :shock: Molotov helped me get quake and quake2 hooked up :D Now if I can just get that loki setup script to run for quake3 arena install I will be setup for a bit.