ealwen
March 22nd, 2004, 03:39
Here is the long story, I pulled down the Unreal Tour 2004 demo to try it out. I put it in a directory under /compat/linux and try to run it since its a *.run file. It verifies the data and then starts uncompressing which is where it stops. It stops saying it ran out of disk space in /tmp. The file is 440M but my /tmp is only 256M. The question I have is can I somehow redirect it to use another directory to unpack? I don't think there is a way to do that very easily so another way I thought about doing it would be to edit my /etc/fstab and put a noauto on the /tmp entry. Then when BSD is done booting I can make a /tmp link to a directory under my /usr which has loads of space. Kinda wary of doing that though, since I have never done it before and I don't know if some process uses the /tmp on boot up. I looked through the books I have and checked forum boards and I don't see where /tmp is used in boot up but thought I would ask first.

Strog
March 22nd, 2004, 10:29
This isn't too bad to do. You can unmount the directory and make the link and it will work fine. You can do it without rebooting if you can free the files that are in use. Otherwise just reboot into single user mode and do it there. (boot -s at the bootloader in 4.x and it's in the menu for 5.x). Just make a tmp directory under /usr or /var or where ever you have some space to play with. Rm the /tmp directory and ln -s /pathto/new/tmp /tmp.

I've done this a time or two in the past and it works just fine. The point of having a seperate limited space /tmp partition is to prevent some runaway process filling the entire filesystem. I tend to make my /tmp a bit larger (typically 800mb depending on the setup I'm going for) now just to avoid this issue and so I can keep it seperate. The process is easy to reverse if you want to put it back or just keep an eye on the size of your /tmp if you are losing space after a while.

I'm sure you probably know most of this but I'm spelling it all out to help others too. 8) Soup's UT/UT2003 howto helped me out when I was trying them out on FreeBSD 5.1. I'm sure 2004 could be made to run pretty nice on Free too. Happy fragging.

socomm
March 22nd, 2004, 12:54
Run `ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run --target Directory' and the installer will use that directory instead of /tmp.

bsdjunkie
March 22nd, 2004, 13:37
I think this is one of the things that always drives me nuts on FreeBSD. Whenever I use a web browser like mozilla or firebird, it will ALWAYS save to /tmp, even if i specify for it to goto /home or /usr. And since I usually keep /tmp around 300 megs or so,. this is very annoying.

Strog
March 22nd, 2004, 14:08
bsdjunkie,

Disable the download manager and it won't use the /tmp directory. I was trying to figure out why you have that problem and I don't the other day. I realized that I dump the download manager first thing on a new install.

bsdjunkie
March 22nd, 2004, 15:31
Sweet, thanks! :D

ealwen
March 23rd, 2004, 03:51
Thanks for the tips all! Socomm's was the solution I used, just "--target" to another directory and I was unable to unpack UT :) Was rocking and rolling this morning with it!