Lusitanian
March 30th, 2004, 22:20
Is there a way to set the duplex on an interface without using the command line command "ifconfig." I know how to change the duplex setting but when I reboot it reverts back to autoselect. I tried to make an entry in rc.conf but then I couldn't pull an IP address for some reason. However, with the modified rc.conf the duplex was set the way I wanted it but I couldn't pull an IP. Please help.

molotov
March 30th, 2004, 22:26
Could we see the relevant part of your rc.conf please?

Lusitanian
March 30th, 2004, 22:37
Sure, here it is (a cleaned up version of course):

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="xxx"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="fxp0"
natd_flags=""
gateway_enable="YES"
hostname="xxx.xxx.xxx"
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
ifconfig_dc0="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
ifconfig_fxp0="media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex"
ifconfig_dc0="media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex"
inetd_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel_enable="xx"
linux_enable="xx"
moused_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="xx"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"

molotov
April 1st, 2004, 00:35
check on man rc.conf
which interface are you trying to set up? you need
[code:1:e68e4e9080]
inet 168.192.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00
[/code:1:e68e4e9080]
or similar to assign an ip...

ealwen
April 1st, 2004, 04:20
For the static ip line:

ifconfig_dc0="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

My config has a "inet" before the ip so that it would like like this:

ifconfg_dc0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

I assume you are setting this box up to do routing for a cable/DSL connection? Cable routers use to run at only 10Mb half duplex :x If so I don't think it will pull an IP at full duplex. I don't know what current cable providers run at but I don't think they have ever really upgraded their networks recently. They are more content to send out letters asking to tone down the download amounts. :?

Edit: spelling

Lusitanian
April 2nd, 2004, 09:32
Actually my fxp0 interface which is connected to my modem is set to autoselect. It's sets itself to 100baseTX full-duplex. I was under the assumption that cable modems were 10mb too. When both internal and external interfaces are set to 100baseTX full-duplex I get download speeds between 600k and 800k. I'll try and enter the "inet" command in front of my IP, but I think I tried that before.