tarballed
April 19th, 2004, 13:24
Hey everyone.

I've run into a little project that i'm going to be working on today and tomorrow. I need to replace our current backup server (currently running RH with a 5 tape autoloader) with a new backup server. The OS of choice will be FreeBSD 4.9.

Now, I have a option to use some software that we currently have a license for:

http://www.tapeware.com

Or, I could try and use something else, like bacula.

If I do decide to go with tapeware, it does require a X-windows setup. No worries really. I would use a simple interface.

My question to everyone here is what they recommend, both backup wise as well as should I put X-Windows on this.

Just wanted to get some ideas. I have a few thoughts, but thought i'd ask the good people here at SE :) and get their thoughts.

Thanks.

Tar-balled

frisco
April 19th, 2004, 14:07
Keep in mind that you can display X apps remotely via ssh, so while you may need to install some X libs there's no need for X to be configured on that server or for a head on it.

Also keep in mind that whatever approach you take, you may need to restore data off a 1, 2, 3 year old tape. If your current solution uses a special method of writing data to tape and you are going to change formats, then you are either faced with the challenge of converting your current tapes to the new format or of maintaing a server running the old software.

Finally, it doesn't look like tapeware is supported under FreeBSD. Doesn't mean it won't work, but if you're paying/have paid for tech support then that's money down the drain. Will this be important when, a year from now, you are having trouble recovering data and can't call for support as you aren't running on a supported OS?

tarballed
April 19th, 2004, 16:44
The incentive is to stay with the current style so I could almost just drop in a new server and everything should work.

I do like the idea of installing some X libraries that will allow me to fire up X apps over a ssh connection. I remember looking into it, but I got side-tracked...

I just checked with the company and it will support FreeBSD 4.9.

I looked also at http://www.bacula.org
I like what it offers, but don't have the time to setup it up and test...i'm pressed for time...

Thanks frisco.

Tarballed