elmore
April 22nd, 2004, 00:46
This Saturday night April 24th, 2004 Screaming Electron will be taken offline to perform some needed upgrades. In addition we'll also be changing forum systems from phpBB to vbulletin. The current forum system will be left online for *Archive Purposes* while we work out bugs with the new system. URL'S will be changing bookmarks will have to be updated etc. I appreciate everyone's patience and hope everyone will pardon what will surely be several rough days that will involve organizing the forums a little better cleaning up the member database etc. etc. You get the general idea.

Thanks to strog who has graciously volunteered to help me out this weekend, and to all those who have bought t-shirts, sweaters, stickers etc. It is those funds that have made the purchase of vbulletin possible. :)

I expect that the site will be back online and somewhat functional on Sunday. I'll be eager to hear comments, criticism, general complaints and any praise about the new website.

Sorry to drop this so quickly on everyone but recent issues with the phpBB forum system that have not been addressed quickly by the phpBB group have pushed up something that really would not have taken place until mid May.

Thanks again for your continued support of Screaming Electron!

Atlas
April 22nd, 2004, 01:28
Since I use phpBB in some other instances (albeit not very actively), what sort of issues are you talking about? Not that I would be of any assistance, but I'd like to cover my own rear! :P

elmore
April 22nd, 2004, 01:44
several vulns. posted to bugtraq earlier this week, while these aren't "rootkit" quality they are still somewhat significant and as of this point the php group has yet to address them, when I submitted to the bug tracking db and followed up with primary developers they were fairly distant and unresponsive, this is typical of the developers at phpbb, mainly because they weren't informed first, because of this past track record I have decided to move away from phpBB. Hope that helps.

Atlas
April 22nd, 2004, 13:50
Thanks, it sure does. I haven't been paying as close of attention as I should to Bugtraq lately...

bsdjunkie
April 22nd, 2004, 14:37
I just played around a bit with the vbulletin admin demo. It looks prettty slick. Much more polished than phpbb2 it seems. :D

soup4you2
April 22nd, 2004, 20:52
couple questions...

1.) are you going to be able to import the current database into the new forum system.. Some content here i find valuable and if it's not going to be there i would like to know if i should make a offline archive of those posts..

2.) given the recent track record for phpbb i cant blame you..

3.) i look forward to seeing the new site.

Well not really a couple questions just the one.. but i would like to know if i should print to pdf those posts i think would be useful in the future..[/code]

elmore
April 22nd, 2004, 20:58
There is a full migration path from phpBB to vbulletin, I have spoken extensively with their support group about this and they have assured and re-assured that there will be no problems.

That being said we shall see. I fully intend to leave this forum up in an archive mode for some time to come as well to give people a chance to re-locate favorite posts and re-bookmark.

soup4you2
April 22nd, 2004, 21:25
i did a little reading around (about 5 minuites worth :P) but it looks like you can convert the phpbb2 database over to phpkukebb2 cms system (i've done that before and it really sucks).. then after that convert it to vbulletin.. but thats about all i saw didnt really look into it too much.. but that many db conversions would most definatly cause issues..

so good luck and await to see the outcome..