opus
May 7th, 2004, 18:25
I am bound to windows for a little bit (hiss!) and I cant seem to send mail through my FBSD Postfix server. All of my othere BSD machines point outgoing mail to 192.168.1.23. I do that and get and error in OE (big hiss!):

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'milne@blackfoot.net'. Subject 'test', Account: '192.168.1.23', Server: '192.168.1.23', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 <milne@blackfoot.net>: Relay access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

EWven if I have SSL set to yes, I get the same error. If in fact it is a relaying issue...than why can my other machines send mail? I must be overlooking something, I am sure.

tarballed
May 7th, 2004, 18:49
Just to clarify, your Windows box is pointing directly to your Postfix box as the SMTP server?

Is your Windows box IP address in the allowable range that you specified in Postfix?

Check your settings in postfix on what subnets are allowed to send mail through it.

Tarballed

opus
May 7th, 2004, 18:53
Yes, it is pointing directly at the Postfix box as the SMTP server.

Everything locally is 192.168.1.* so the answer to that would be yes.

I never have done anything with settings regarding Postfix......not even sure how...but I bet it is in main.cf

elmore
May 7th, 2004, 18:53
look at the my_networks line in your /etc/main.cf

modify it accrodingly and then postfix reload, and you're off!

opus
May 7th, 2004, 19:02
Nope, not yet. Here is a snip from my Postfix log followed by postconf -n:

May 7 17:00:13 dopey postfix/smtpd[48579]: 38CF08CD: reject: RCPT from unknown[192.168.1.70]: 554 <milne@blackfoot.net>: Relay access denied; from=<opus@milneweb.com> to=<milne@blackfoot.net> proto=SMTP helo=<VAIO>

-bash-2.05b$ postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
body_checks = pcre:/etc/postfix/body_checks
command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
config_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
header_checks = pcre:/etc/postfix/header_checks
home_mailbox = Maildir/
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/local/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
message_size_limit = 2000000
mime_header_checks = pcre:/etc/postfix/mime_header_checks
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, mail.$mydomain
mydomain = dopey.hopto.org
myhostname = mail.milneweb.com
mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/28, 127.0.0.0/8
myorigin = $mydomain
newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases
notify_classes = resource,software
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = no
relay_domains = $mydestination
sample_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
sendmail_path = /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = maildrop
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination, reject_unauth_pipelining, reject_non_fqdn_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_invalid_hostname, reject_unknown_hostname, reject_unknown_sender_domain, reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
smtpd_sender_restrictions = check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access
strict_rfc821_envelopes = yes
unknown_client_reject_code = 450
unknown_hostname_reject_code = 554
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

opus
May 7th, 2004, 19:08
I added the ip address of my windows laptop by hand under my_networks and it works.
Now, is that a secure thing to do...?

tarballed
May 7th, 2004, 19:20
I added the ip address of my windows laptop by hand under my_networks and it works.
Now, is that a secure thing to do...?

It should be no problem. You are just specifically allowing your laptop.
As far as your laptop, what is the subnet mask you have set for it? I noticed you have 192.168.1.0/28 for the mynetworks portion and im wondering if that if you are using a different subnet mask, if that is the problem...

T.

opus
May 7th, 2004, 19:29
192.168.1.70/255.255.255.0