bumbler
May 27th, 2004, 22:57
Now running a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.2.1, thanks to molotov. I am not yet ready to start on the LAN stuff until I get this one little problem fixed: the Audigy card is still quiet. I got the PCM module and the emu10kq.ko module in, but I still get nothing. When I run pciconf -l -v, I get:

none1@pci0:9:0: class=0x040100 card=0x00511102 chip=0x00041102 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Creative Labs'
device = 'EMU10K2 Audio Chipset (SB Audigy Series)'
class = multimedia
subclass = audio

I've read lots of conflicting info was to whether it is support without some kind of patching, etc. Now what?

Bumbler

optyk
May 27th, 2004, 23:24
Might be overkill, but give 'kldload snd_pcm' a shot.

nutznboltz
May 28th, 2004, 09:15
Sound drivers are only available as modules when you are running a GENERIC kernel. You can either load the modules or build a new kernel with

device pcm
in the config file. See the comments in /usr/src/Makefile on how to build the kernel.

Read the pcm man page and the loader.conf man page for the documentation on how to load the modules.

bumbler
May 28th, 2004, 10:03
Sorry, I thought I had said I had done the 'kldload snd_pcm' already. Anyway, it's running, but sound is not. I guess I'll change the BIOS setting for "PnP OS" next.

Bumbler

bumbler
May 28th, 2004, 18:53
Never mind, I found a card that works well enough for now.

molotov
May 30th, 2004, 13:35
you might need to adjust the volume on the card, try rexima or amixer

bumbler
May 30th, 2004, 14:34
Nah. I checked that. Only when I replaced the card did things work. Doing exactly the same routine worked on the Maxi Muse, but not at all on Audigy. I think it's an Audigy2, which appears to be unsupported for now. Thanks. I'll be okay as is for now. I'm still focussed on getting 5.3 as my end-point (barring a new machine still compatible).

Bumbler

Kernel_Killer
May 30th, 2004, 16:59
I thought there was a kernel option for EMU10K2. Not device pcm of course.

bumbler
May 30th, 2004, 17:30
Might be an option for a rebuild, but not in the GENERIC modules. At this point, I am not interested in pursuing the matter. For now, it's enough that I have a FreeBSD box at all. After I read enough and re-read most of it, I might have some idea how to proceed on things. I am a patient man.

bumbler
June 4th, 2004, 22:44
Just another note: 5.2.1 crashed and rebooted repeatedly during the last phase of trying to burn a CD, during 'fixate'. The IDE driver gave out a big fault, lots of stuff spewed across the screen, a cache repeatedly refused to do something, and the thing rebooted. I'm running 4.9 again. It cost me about 4 hours to rebuild because I couldn't backup anything -- that's what the CD-RW was for. I think I'm going to stay in the 4.x series for now.....

Bumbler

molotov
June 5th, 2004, 01:03
:-\
sorry to hear that. Hopefully 5.3 will clear up any lingering issues, you going to upgrade to 4.10?

bumbler
June 5th, 2004, 18:23
I'm considering that. I note that 4.9 is visibly quicker than 5.2.1 was on this machine. Looks like something of a bloat factor has crept into the newer design. At any rate, I have a full set of package disks for 4.9, and am considering ordering a set of 4.10. If I do, I'm driving the stake down on that, until a "new" machine comes my way. I'm waiting for someone to dispose of a good server box in the sub-1Ghz range.

Bumbler

molotov
June 5th, 2004, 21:04
Keep in mind lots of debugging things may be enabled in the 5.x series slowing it down, because I believe that the 5.x series is supposed to be marginally faster than the 4.x series. As for a cheap server, best of luck.

bumbler
June 7th, 2004, 23:54
Well, I jumped off into what was for me the great unknown. First, I learned to run CVSup and updated my ports tree at 4_RELENG. It took almost 40 minutes on my connection. After seeing how easy that was, I decided I would do the system update on the same path. I was amazed it took only 20 minutes or so. Buildworld took about an hour-and-a-half, and buildkernel took about 12 minutes. I'm now running 4.10.

I chose to optimize only for i686, because it's generic and I wasn't sure if my Duron 800 would be classed as a K7 or what. I can't see any differences just yet, and I plan to tune the kernel later. I also plan to obtain all the ports sources that I'm using.

Here's my question: I notice that everything in the system base is handled by diffs and so forth; thus, the short download time. Is there a mechanism for doing the same thing with, say, IceWM or some other userland package? I realize not every project provides diffs, but for those that do, it would save lots of download time.

Bumbler

Kernel_Killer
June 8th, 2004, 00:09
Most of the time, I've seen the diffs downloaded and installed on the ports that have them when installing. Should add them when doing a upgrade on that port.

bumbler
June 9th, 2004, 12:07
Good; thanks.

BTW, I've noticed after the upgrade the system's RAM footprint is smaller, and things run more crisply in X. Something in 4.9 was hogging resources and made, for example, KDE run very slowly. A few other minor bits here and there are improved. Also, my time for the ports tree update was badly flawed, since my misconfig of cvsup served only to wipe my ports tree clean. A subsequent attempt to roughly 5 hours to download, using the 'refuse' file to save time.

Bumbler