ccnax
June 17th, 2004, 09:53
i want tto create a new user and grant all root right on freebsd 5.2.1

but im not do it.

thanx for all helps

Strog
June 17th, 2004, 10:27
A good place to cover all this is the FreeBSD Handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html) or The Complete FreeBSD book if you prefer an offline source. :squarewin

You can add a user through /stand/sysinstall or the adduser (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=adduser&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.2-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html) command. You need to add your user to the wheel group. adduser will ask "Invite test into other groups:" and you can put wheel here. You can also manually edit /etc/group to add your user to wheel group (wheel:*:0:root,user,otheruser).

Another very good option is to install sudo (pkg_add -r sudo or from ports /usr/ports/security/sudo). Sudo is a great command that allows a user to run specific commands with root privileges as needed. You would run a command by putting sudo in front of it (sudo command) and it will ask the user for their password and excute the command as root. You can give the user full access or you can have the user run specific commands as root without giving them full access. This is great if you want to give a user the ability to mount a drive or some other access without giving them everything.

Whatever you do, please read through the Handbook as it gives you really help for most of what you need to know about FreeBSD and setting it up. Don't hesistate to ask a question if you need more clarification or get stuck. :popcornsm

schotty
June 17th, 2004, 12:57
sudo is what I use. I love it.

ccnax
June 18th, 2004, 06:31
For example i'm creating
login id:testroot
uid:1001
group:wheel
member group:sshd

which i grant to root rights testroot user ,with sudo command.

i want to only login another user sshd service and this user have root rights.

pls,im new in freebsd .

Strog
June 18th, 2004, 12:25
What exactly are you trying to do here?

You should really only use root privileges when needed and be a standard user the rest of the time.

Are you trying to grant this user ssh access but not local?

Give us a little more info on what you want so we can help you out.