cod3fr3ak
July 13th, 2004, 12:37
I've finally gotten around to setting up MRTG on my network admin server. I have a question. What I've done is to create separate subdirectories under /var/www for each server, with and additional subdirectory for different categories of stuff like networks, user data, etc.
I used the cfgmaker command to create .cfg files for all of my systems running snmp. Now heres my question, do I start a separate mrtg session running in daemon mode for each server - or can I add as many .cfg files to the -c switch as I want?

cod3fr3ak
July 13th, 2004, 13:26
Also whenever I run the cfgmaker, i get the follwoing in the .cfg file:

### Interface 1 >> Descr: 'lo0' | Name: '' | Ip: '127.0.0.1' | Eth: '' ###
### The following interface is commented out because:
### * it is a Software Loopback interface
### * has a speed of 0 which makes no sense
#
# Target[localhost_lo0]: \lo0:custqI8j@localhost:
# SetEnv[localhost_lo0]: MRTG_INT_IP="127.0.0.1" MRTG_INT_DESCR="lo0"
# MaxBytes[localhost_lo0]: 0
# Title[localhost_lo0]: lo0 -- neuromancer.gwillness.osd.mil
# PageTop[localhost_lo0]: <H1>lo0 -- neuromancer.gwillness.osd.mil</H1>
# <TABLE>
# <TR><TD>System:</TD> <TD>neuromancer.gwillness.osd.mil in Skyline 1</TD></TR>
# <TR><TD>Maintainer:</TD> <TD>sysadmin &lt;sysadmin@neuromancer.gwillness.osd.mil&gt;</TD></TR>
# <TR><TD>Description:</TD><TD>lo0 </TD></TR>
# <TR><TD>ifType:</TD> <TD>softwareLoopback (24)</TD></TR>
# <TR><TD>ifName:</TD> <TD></TD></TR>
# <TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD> <TD>0.0 bits/s</TD></TR>
# <TR><TD>Ip:</TD> <TD>127.0.0.1 (localhost.gwillness.osd.mil)</TD></TR>
# </TABLE>

all the lines get commented out and the program says its because the interface speed is 0. I am running this on OBSD 3.5.

cod3fr3ak
July 16th, 2004, 09:47
Update. I figured it out or at least part of it. It seems that MRTG's cfgmaker script OR ucd-snmp has a problem picking up the "MaxBytes" when it does the snmpd scan - if the interface is set to auto-negotiate. When I set the interface speed manually I have no problems. The cfgmaker script run properly and enumerates the interface correctly.

Now it seems that the pflog interface doesn't have a speed either, at least not one that I can set. Has anyone here gotten MRTG to process pf data?