NullSpin
August 15th, 2004, 19:33
Hey all,
Does anybody know what the difference is between opendarwin and gnu darwin? I installed opendarwin on my test laptop and I have to say, if the objective of opendarwin is to come up to a light grey screen with an apple on it, while a cursor endlessly traverses a circle, then my install rules the universe.
If not, well, it's easy on the eyes.
later
ns

Kernel_Killer
August 15th, 2004, 19:41
I believe that Open Darwin is just the base of OS X, while GNU Darwin is the more Open Source version to stay away from Apple licenses.

Strog
August 15th, 2004, 21:52
If you are installing on x86 then you need to be aware that either support limited hardware on that platform. I've had very limited success with Darwin on x86 hardware.

If you are using an Apple laptop then you should have a decent cli *nix with X available. All the fun of OS X without all the pretty.

optyk
August 16th, 2004, 07:14
I got the same thing after installing 7.2.1, found some answers in the release notes - pass "-v" at boot to avoid the splash screen, and * The booter wont automatically use the OpenDarwin disk as the root disk. You have to
pass the "rd=" parameter to the kernel. On a lot of installs the parameter to be passed
is: rd=disk0s1
However this depends on your local setup. Once booted you can hardwire this kernel argument
in the file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
Maybe this applies to you, too?

I never got it to recognize my NIC, even though I used a couple that are listed as known good.