E-Oreo
December 2nd, 2002, 19:30
I am trying to install OpenBSD 3.1 on a brand new computer. This is the first time i'v ever installed OpenBSD so this is probly a stupid mistake. I am installing off a CD which a friend of mine burned off of an official OpenBSD cd. I made the boot floppy and started the install. Then it asks me If i plan on running X on it. After that it gives me an error saying "Warning No kernal (mnt/bsd) installed! You did not unpack a file set containing a kernal -- this is need to boot. Please not that the install kernal is *not* suitable for general use." I checked on the CD and the file "bsd" is in the directory 3.1/i386/ (which is the one I told it to look in). Is there something wrong with the CD, am I doing something wrong or is it something else. If you need any more info on the system I can give you anything you need cuz I built the computer myself.

Thankz for the help.

frisco
December 2nd, 2002, 21:21
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

in particular, note this section:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Filesets

when you reached that point in the install, were you presented with those options? if so, did you leave [X] bsd selected? and if so, did you see the part that looks like this:
Getting bsd ...
100% |************************************************* *| 4409 KB 00:01

while the above referenced FAQ is for 3.2, the install steps are fairly similar, at least the question about X still comes after the installation of the filesets, so you should have at least seen the "Install more sets?" prompt. did you?

E-Oreo
December 3rd, 2002, 16:54
I read over that faq and the other ones before I posted. That was one of the other problems, it never did go to the point where you select what sets you want to install, it just skipped that and went straight to asking me about X. It asked me for a location where sets where (after asking about X) and I gave it the location. Then it gave me the error.

|MiNi0n|
December 4th, 2002, 11:12
I'd suggest that the cd you're using is hosed. You can't get very far with running openbsd when the kernel isn't being installed... let alone base and etc.

Have a look at the contents of the CD and verify that all of the required sets are there.

:)

Strog
December 4th, 2002, 12:00
Here's my list that I mirrored for OpenBSD 3.2. Should be very similar to you 3.1. You can download all these files and use cdrom32.fs as the boot image to make your own. Put them in the 3.2/i386 folder. I know that I fought with a CD that someone had given me. It worked real well after I just went out and got the latest files and did it myself. I've installed a couple snapshots with just a bootfloppy and a cable connection. Let us know if you need some help.

base32.tgz
bsd
bsd.rd
cdrom32.fs
CKSUM
comp32.tgz
etc32.tgz
floppy32.fs
floppyB32.fs
floppyC32.fs
game32.tgz
index.txt
INSTALL.ata
INSTALL.chs
INSTALL.dbr
INSTALL.i386
INSTALL.linux
INSTALL.mbr
INSTALL.os2br
INSTALL.pt
man32.tgz
MD5
misc32.tgz
xbase32.tgz
xfont32.tgz
xserv32.tgz
xshare32.tgz

E-Oreo
December 4th, 2002, 16:35
ok i checked the CD for the bsd file and it is there. I'm pretty sure all the other files are there also. They are in the directory 3.1/i386. What i don't get is why the installer dosn't locate it when i give it that directory.

schotty
December 10th, 2002, 13:09
thanks strog for the tip!

I will be trying that one out.