bmk1st
September 26th, 2004, 15:14
I tried to use google to find which ports NFS and samba use. Google wasn't being helpful. What ports do nfs and samba use?

Kernel_Killer
September 26th, 2004, 15:47
135-137 & 139 for samba. 2049 for NFS. Also on NFS if you run a tcpdump, there will be another UDP port that is used for the connection. It can vary on the server. Usually, it around 1004 - 1009, but I've seen it lower.Also, you want to allow 111 for NFS as well.

bmw
September 26th, 2004, 19:35
bmk1st: you do realize that it's a really, really bad idea to let either NFS or SMB traffic through your firewall to or from the Internet?

Those are two of the best examples of protocols you should only use over a VPN.

Just checking ...

molotov
September 26th, 2004, 23:48
less /etc/services
man services

bmk1st
October 20th, 2004, 11:20
bmk1st: you do realize that it's a really, really bad idea to let either NFS or SMB traffic through your firewall to or from the Internet?

Those are two of the best examples of protocols you should only use over a VPN.

Just checking ...

I never tried VPN before but if I set up isakmpd in openbsd, how do I access nfs or smb through vpn from linux or windows client?

bmw
October 20th, 2004, 11:36
Very generally, you need to install a compatible VPN tunnel or client on or near your Linux or Windoze client.

Often you would have a firewall-to-firewall VPN tunnel setup and then the NFS server and clients don't need to modified, they simply route their packets thru the VPN. An alternative might be that you have a Windoze client directly on the Internet; in that case you would install a VPN package on the Win box and have it connect to the firewall at your NFS server end. The Win VPN would tunnel all NFS traffic through the tunnel endpoint that it creates dynamically for you when you connect to the server-end VPN endpoint.

There's probably some nice beginning VPN tutorial write-ups here at SE under the Networking and HowTo forums. Elmore and some of the senior guys here are experts at creating and running VPNs. So you are in good hands! :-)

[Elmore: I did not mean senior in years. ;-]