Strog
December 4th, 2002, 02:28
What are some of everyone's experiences been with Postfix?

Let's kick off the section and all learn together.

|MiNi0n|
December 4th, 2002, 11:08
I have nothing but warm fuzzy feelings about postfix :lol:

It's easily one of the greatest things I've ever come across. It's a love affair.

Easy to config, a veritable treasure trove of tweakable options, a magnum opus of features and it's solid as a rock. The shit just runs.

KrUsTy!
December 4th, 2002, 13:16
I am in full agreement with MiNion on this one, postfix is almost better then sliced bread. I fell in love with it 3 years ago, and its just even that much better now. Before I was mired in the ugly world of sendmail. Don't get me wrong, sendmail works when done properly, but it is ugly to config, even uglier to re-config, and I was tired of all the security problems. Postfix does everything that sendmail does and more, its rock solid and doesn't require a PHD and a magic wand to configure.

To be honest, I haven't looked at either qmail or exim, only because I think postfix is so great I have never even thought of using something else.

MiNion and I run a postfix mail system for a company of 300+ people. We have postfix working with not just RBL lists, but Spam Assassin and Vipul's Razor to kill the spam, and use Amavis to virus check all the mail before it arrives into people's maidir for pickup with IMAP. Slick, and we do it all on OpenBSD and FreeBSD, and we just let it run, we hardly do any mail admin at all. In 3 years we have never had a postfix problem. As MiNion says, the shit just runs!!

If anyone wants more info about how to setup postfix for the kind of stuff I mention above, take a look at elmore's postfix how-to in the How-to area. elmore has that written up really nicely.

{K}

elmore
December 4th, 2002, 14:55
I agree with Krusty and Mini0n here. Postfix just rocks. I use it here on screaming electron. I also use it in my company. Postfix is super easy to configure, completely stable, fast and secure. Anyways I wrote a how-to on it a while back it's in the how-to section here on se.