bumbler
October 24th, 2004, 15:49
I'm tracking 5.3 until the final release, which means weekly updates. This past week I decided to go ahead and get KDE 3.3 and XFree86 4.4. Both work exceedingly well, and I've not identified any of the bugs in KDE I read about on Usenet. However, I discovered that if I use KPPP (ppp0 interface) to connect, it interferes somewhat with traffic. I couldn't download the RC1 updates. It was as if the firewall was blocking the returns. I found that odd because I haven't changed my firewall since installing fresh 5.2.1, and everything had been working fine. On a whim I decided to try userland ppp (tun0 interface) and everything was just dandy. I can't imagine what the difference is; my firewall is quite generic, making no reference to either of those interfaces.

molotov
October 24th, 2004, 17:48
I have no idea, but Id stick with userland ppp, it rawks sawks =)

bumbler
October 24th, 2004, 20:35
All the more so when I discovered that (1) Ksysguard works as advertised -- and hadn't before -- and (2) I can get the packet monitor added to it on the toolbar.

Kernel_Killer
October 24th, 2004, 23:34
I've always seen trouble with KPPP. When setting up clients with UNIX based systems I try to give them a GUI dialer, but KPPP always gave me trouble. The GNOME dialer worked just great, but I personally have to stick with the userland PPP for my own use.