pick-master
December 15th, 2004, 18:05
Not sure if this is the right place but I hope that my question is related.

I have two OpenBSD 3.5 and 3.6 machines and a Windows. I got a kvm and it looks like it was working fine but when switching from one machine to another one, the keyboard gets disconnected as if it was unplugged.

Is there some process that could reinitialize the keyboard if or when the keyboard gets disconnected?

Thanks,

pick-master

bsdjunkie
December 15th, 2004, 18:35
Well, my kvm works great with windows and obsd. Hate to say it, but a lot of cheaper KVMs have trouble like this all the time. Only way I know of to fix is to reboot box and let it get control of kb again.

bmw
December 15th, 2004, 20:17
Some KVMs have a magic code to reset the keyboard/mouse interface. Eg the Cybex Switchview: Ctrl-Ctrl-MR and Ctrl-Ctrl-ZM. It's always an error to hot-plug the keyboard or mouse.

Upgrade to USB mouse/keyboard and it's never an error to hot-plug them! :-)

Strog
December 16th, 2004, 01:07
I have a cheap 4 port KVM ( $45 shipped with cables) and got pretty lucky with how well it works. I did have an issue with a P3 motherboard that the hd light came on and it wouldn't boot with the mouse connected to it. I fixed that issue by putting it in a system for my father-in-law. :silly:

Kernel_Killer
December 16th, 2004, 03:36
I just unplug the KVM and then back, or I disconnect it while on a Win system so that the restart isn't a big deal (Sometimes it will re-sync).