Atlas
January 24th, 2005, 11:38
I am currently looking at upgrading the backend of my content management/blogging solution. I've been using the MovableType package from roughly a year ago, but their new payment model precludes me (and my generally low level of interest in blogging) from upgrading with them. I've been playing with some of the systems profiled at opensourcecms.com (which, if you haven't seen it, is awesome), but I'm looking for some feedback from the SE Community. My basic requirements for the system:

1) Open-Source and completely legal and free for total modification. While I have no delusions of being a real coder, I like to screw around with things and I really don't want to step on anyone's toes.

2) Multi-author system; I would like to be able to share the writing with several authors per blog.

3) Multi-blog capable; I like that the same back-end DB and script folders can handle several blogs without needing the overhead of multiple installs to do different sites.

4) Comment control plugins; I hate comment spam more than just about anything else in the world.

5) User registration; ideally, I would like complete user tracking to know who visits what pages, linger time, etc. I know you can pull a lot of this from server logs (I use AWStats) but I'd like a little more fine-grained tracking, perhaps using a registration system and cookies.

6) Good user community and active development; as should be clear by my time here, I'm always into integrating new features, whether I need them or not. I *love* active development. :squarewin

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience using software that does these things and/or people who have used WordPress and Serendipity. Are there other packages that shouldn't be missed? Anyone really love what they use?

Strog
January 24th, 2005, 14:48
I've been looking at trying pLog (http://www.plogworld.net/blog.php/plog_development_journal/page/features) and WordPress (http://wordpress.org/about/features/). Both are opensource with most (all?) the features I want. I had bloxsm on my site until I switched to phpbloxsm. I borked it good when I redesigned my site and haven't really felt like putting it back up.