gmoreno
February 19th, 2005, 04:16
Ok I got everything set. Just when I type "startx" while having a .xinitric that has exec gnome-session. It gives me the nvidia screen and goes back to some error about my host name.
If I change to exec wmaker it loads up fine.

I can't for the life of me build gdm. And xdm starts up a term and thats it. Please help me get productive in my freebsd install. Thanks.

optyk
February 19th, 2005, 14:18
Does it dump you back to console?

gmoreno
February 19th, 2005, 16:57
Yup it does. When I do exec wmaker. It dosent but all i get is a term window and thats it. Still can't complie gdm. :( I'm really close to get this to be a functional box.

socomm
February 19th, 2005, 18:51
Hey dawg, you may want to set your host name under /etc/hostname or something. I forget which file FreeBSD uses for hostname settings. Set your hostname and that error at GNOME's startup will go away.

K thnx bye!

gmoreno
February 19th, 2005, 19:07
I know what you talking about. But this is not a gnome pop-up its a xauth cli messege.

Kernel_Killer
February 19th, 2005, 19:45
Yeah, just set your hostname correctly in the /etc/hosts file, and all will be good. I think this is a Gnome issue on everything considering Gnome defaults to localhost.localdomain.

socomm
February 19th, 2005, 22:20
Start X as the root user, there are some files that may need to be created by root before other users can access them under /tmp or something. Also check ~/.Xauthority you may need to create that (touch ~/.Xauthority).

Good luck.

gmoreno
February 21st, 2005, 13:20
Thank guys. Got this working. Typing this from gnome

gmoreno
February 24th, 2005, 14:01
Finally I got gdm to compile. How can I get freebsd to boot up to gdm/graphical runlevel?

Strog
February 24th, 2005, 17:25
There's a startup file for gdm in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh.sample. Copy/move it from gdm.sh.sample to gdm.sh and you should have a pretty login when you next reboot. :)