opus
March 7th, 2005, 20:51
I run this

bash-2.05b$ sudo fsck_msdosfs -y /dev/ad2s2

On a second drive. It goes through some jibberish and I end up with this:

Free space in FSInfo block (-1431655766) not correct (1122087)
fix? yes
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Thoughts??

bmw
March 7th, 2005, 21:17
I'd say yer fscked, but that's just 'cause it's a great pun. :-) You know, I never knew there was a fsck for an msdos FS -- kewl! Too bad it dumps core. Any chance you can persuade a Windows system to clean the FS for you?

If you are feeling adventurous, you might recompile fsck_msdosfs with -g debugging enabled. Then when it dumps core you could use gdb to get a stack back-trace. If you submit that and your description using send-pr, the FreeBSD guys might have enough to enable them to fix it.

opus
March 7th, 2005, 21:38
I tried windows just as a last shot....no deal. The slice/partition works well on windows...wonder why not here all of a sudden. Not really an important slice but I would like to get it back.

opus
March 7th, 2005, 21:40
bash-2.05b$ sudo fsck_msdosfs /dev/ad2s2
Password:
** /dev/ad2s2 (NO WRITE)
** Phase 1 - Read and Compare FATs
FAT starts with odd byte sequence (f8ffff0ffffffff7)
Correct? no
** Phase 2 - Check Cluster Chains
** Phase 3 - Checking Directories
** Phase 4 - Checking for Lost Files
9169 files, 1139904 free (1119820 clusters), 48 bad (3 clusters)

Just dont know how to fix it.

frisco
March 7th, 2005, 23:51
I'm not familiar with fsck_msdosfs, but i've seen fsck coredump and/or hang on ufs partitions due to too low limit settings. I think it was the data size limit that needed increasing. Other times it has hung due to not enough total memory and/or swap.

If you have important data on that partition, back it up immediately. If a copy on the fs fails, dd the partition.

Good luck,

opus
March 7th, 2005, 23:54
Naw, nothing important, just determining to make it work. I was going to do newfs_msdos on it. Before I did, I tried to mount it again...and it worked. No idea why though.

1G of memory and plenty of swap, that shouldnt be it.

If it borks again, I will newfs it and be done.