cod3fr3ak
March 8th, 2005, 16:50
I am installing ipfilter on some of my solaris 9 servers. I'd like to know how different ipfilter's configuration files are from pf's? Basically i just want to make sure the skillset I have in pf.conf can be smoothely to ipf.conf.

bsdjunkie
March 8th, 2005, 18:08
They are fairly close since pf was kinda designed to be easy to use like ipf, but I would not want to directly import the file over, that could cause all kinds of fun errors. pf has a lot more features and different shortcuts in the ruleset as well. You may want to look up ipf examples on the web and see what rules need to be translated over.

cod3fr3ak
March 9th, 2005, 13:13
Yeah I am in the process of doing that now. Just experimenting with ipf on the sun box.
Basically i need X11, oracle, tomcat, apache and ssh open. I am having a really good time learning a new frewall. Does anyone think pf will be proted over to solaris?

bsdjunkie
March 9th, 2005, 13:41
I think there could be a good chance. pf has proven to be very popular since it was released, and openbsd keeps making it better =)

cod3fr3ak
March 9th, 2005, 15:12
I understand that in order to do redirects (i.e. port 80 to port 8080) i need to configure the ipnat.conf file?

bsdjunkie
March 10th, 2005, 12:42
Looks like it, I havnt used ipf in yrs, but can do some research on it.

cod3fr3ak
March 10th, 2005, 20:32
DOn't bother I got it working this afternoon. thanks for the help. I am so used to pf I made a BUNCH of silly mistakes in syntax and stuff. Stupid Sun. If they wanted to adopt an open source host based firewall (NOBODY like SunScreen) why couldn't they have picked pf?