LooseChanj
March 9th, 2005, 02:04
So, for the longest time now, I've had problems with Fbsd and mounting one of my fat32 partitions. And when I upgraded my hdds from 40's to 120's I couldn't mount the linux partitions on ad2 either. Now, every other OS could deal with the drive fine. And fbsd didn't have a problem with the dvd on that ide channel either.

So yes, it turned out to just need a new ide cable. But if you knew what I have to do to get this tower out from under the table, you'd exhaust every other possibility too.

http://screamingelectron.org/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Strog
March 9th, 2005, 10:23
But if you knew what I have to do to get this tower out from under the table, you'd exhaust every other possibility too.

heheh, I hear you there. I moved my systems into rack mount cases to organize them better. It's such a pain trying to get the cables hooked/unhooked. Pulling the case out isn't so bad. I ended up transfering a rack mount system back to a full tower case that swings open on the side. I need to have a system I can throw stuff into and test.

And fbsd didn't have a problem with the dvd on that ide channel either.

DVD/CD drives are used to dealing with media errors and often have to retry to read dirty/scratched/etc. media. It's not too surprising that your dvd drive was a little more resiliant with a marginal cable. :wink: