v902
January 12th, 2003, 22:00
Does the OpenBSD partition still need to be in the first 1024 blocks? I was reading some docs but all fo them I got were old and and am wondering if OBSD still needs to be in the first 1024 blocks/sectors/whatever the name is :)

TIA

|MiNi0n|
January 13th, 2003, 12:43
Everything you need to know about disks in OBSD can be found here:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html

It's current... and... *sigh* there is a helluva lotta info in that link but it's well worth the read to make sure you understand some of OBSD's more subtle nuances in relation to disks.

Enjoy :P

v902
January 13th, 2003, 20:53
Yeah, I was going throug the FAQ, but skimming isn't generaly good :D Thanks I will look into that (grumbles that he has to redo the partition table again for the third time this month)

|MiNi0n|
January 13th, 2003, 21:42
What are you trying to do? Multi-boot?

v902
January 13th, 2003, 21:52
Yeah, Slackware with OBSD right now, then soon will come FBSD, then probably NetBSD, then probably Debian, LFS, Gentoo. Just to see what I like more. :shock:

schotty
January 16th, 2003, 03:47
If you like slackware and OpenBSD, you will like FreeBSD. I reccomend staying there. Unless you like using up alot of time (cough, Gentoo LFS). Debian -- definitely do.

The reasoning there, is -- Learn the core 3 (Slackware, Debian, and RedHat). They are the core to any other linux out there. If you know them all, you will be that much better of an admin. That is assuming you have admin carreer ambitions.

My 2 cents..

v902
January 16th, 2003, 11:33
Yeah, but being an admin isn't for me, and I am no where close to working age... :shock: But yeah, Definatly gotta try the *BSDs

bsdjunkie
January 16th, 2003, 12:11
I started out with slackware back in '95.
Played with most linux's over the next few yrs.
Was like "nice pkg management" on debian
Promptly went back to slackware due its its fscked up dselect =)
Was like "ooh, pretty" on redhat/mandrake installs.
Promptly went back to slackware due to rpms.
Tried *BSD and ive barely looked back since.

:roll:

v902
January 16th, 2003, 19:58
If you like slackware and OpenBSD, you will like FreeBSD.

This sounds like I have OBSD installed... What I meant was that I plan to install OBSD first... :shock: then FBSD, etc.

schotty
January 17th, 2003, 16:25
Vlad, allright -- I didnt know :lol:

Either way, if you know Slackware, BSD will be easier than sonmeone who only gre up on SuSE, RedHat, or Mandrake. Slack kinda expects a bit of user competence with the computer, as does BSD. Not really hard to get, but requires a skull with a functional grey matter inside.

v902
January 17th, 2003, 22:03
Yeah, I find configuring stuff yourself is really fun! For example, instead of using netconfig I would rather just do vi /etc/resolv.conf (I *HATE* DHCP), But yeah, I learned alot, still got a lot to go though :shock: Gonna be a biotch to have all these OSs' boot though, Because I believe FBSD and OBSD not sure about NBSD can only boot off primary partitions.... :shock: