bmw
April 26th, 2005, 19:40
Vision: To create a desktop OS using the FreeBSD platform, that can be used by business and home users as easily as the leading major operating systems, while still retaining the power-functionality of UNIX that makes FreeBSD such a solid platform.

http://www.pcbsd.org/

bumbler
April 27th, 2005, 12:28
Woohoo! Excellent lead, BMW.

cod3fr3ak
April 27th, 2005, 13:53
This is interesting

Kernel_Killer
April 27th, 2005, 14:14
I don't quite know what to think to tell you the truth....

Atlas
April 27th, 2005, 16:28
I'm pretty excited about trying this out. Looks like a promising start. I'm curious about possible cooperation with the Freesbie project...

cod3fr3ak
May 3rd, 2005, 23:09
Tried this out yesterday. Very slick install. And very simple. I kicked it off on my laptop and went out for a bagel came back, put in a root password and rebooted. The system came up nicely.

bumbler
May 17th, 2005, 23:46
I don't have a machine to test it myself, but because I had a few answers to technical issues for newbies, they made me a moderator on the new forum at: http://www.sixpixels.de/anju/pcbsd/phpBB2/index.php

It's a load of fun. I suppose they are simply pushing one edge of FreeBSD closer to the clueless user land in competition against the easy-to-use Linux distros.

niveknapaj
May 22nd, 2005, 12:03
I tried it out but had bad screen resolution. everything was so large. since the website didn't have too much for forums and all and my friend emailed me that FreeBSD 5.4 Release was out I just downloaded that instead.
so far I've had no major problems with 5.4
It's too bad about that screen resolution thing but then again I do like tinkering around the cli anyway.
I was getting a little irritated at 5.3 so the PC-BSD was looking good until 5.4. I do like 5.4 over 5.3 as things went easier for me.
Anyway I hope they succeed with it and it brings BSD closer to the general population. I'm having fun with it.

now for the postfix thing. any suggestions or tutorials on configing postfix to work with an imap/pop server would be welcomed.
Thanks all.

Loop
May 25th, 2005, 00:10
Maybe start a new thread for you mail server config, lets not hijack this one.