bmk1st
May 6th, 2005, 09:10
I've ordered 3.7 CD and it should be here anytime soon. I plan to install it on my laptop with DWL-G650 wireless card. I hope it works well with 3.7 since it has support for it.

I have never made any attempt to set up wireless on BSD/linux machines before. I only have done this with Windows. I'm not sure how to search for infomation on setting up wireless client. Is it simple as setting up ethernet card? I tried googling and most results usually has do with setting up wireless network, bridges, routers, etc. So, it's not being helpful. I need to look for information on how to set up wireless on openbsd client. Is there anything specified where I should search for?

Atlas
May 6th, 2005, 11:48
On FreeBSD, all wireless configuration is managed through ifconfig. I think OpenBSD still uses wicontrol (as of 3.6 anyway). The way I've done it before:

#wicontrol wi0 -q SSIDHERE -k WEPKEYHERE
#ifconfig wi0 inet IPADDRESSHERE netmask MASKHERE

Good luck!

frisco
May 6th, 2005, 12:23
wicontrol is for wi and awi devices (which can also now be configured via ifconfig, according to their manpages).

For DWL-G650, i only see DWL-G650B on the supported hardware page. That card is an ath (http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ath&arch=i386&sektion=4) and that manpage has examples of configuring it.