so solid
May 18th, 2005, 23:48
Is there a standard port range that Ports uses when downloading files from the different sites.

I noticed this when using vmware. See, I run Windows XP for my desktop and vmware with an installation of FreeBSD. I know my FreeBSD has an internet connection because I can use Lynx and browse.

I also have a desktop firewall, and it allows the typical SMTP, POP3, HTTP/S, DNS, FTP.

So when I do an upgrade using Ports in FreeBSD on vmware, I notice that I get massive time outs. When I check the logs on my desktop firewall, I see all these non standard ports initiating traffic.

So thats my situation, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on that!

Kernel_Killer
May 19th, 2005, 00:08
You really don't have to worry about that. They are going out on ports on for initiation and acknowledging. It doesn't mean that those ports are open the other way around. It's egress (outbound) traffic not ingress (inbound).

so solid
May 19th, 2005, 00:18
perhaps i have configured the firewall to be too restrictive... i've been known to do that by accident!

Kernel_Killer
May 19th, 2005, 02:57
Just set to allow outbound traffic from IPs to anywhere. You could try to restrict egress ports, but since they are picked at random (unless specifically set in some cases) there isn't too much to worry about.