Pleeb0101
May 31st, 2005, 15:47
Hello!

My latitude x200 is now happily running 5.4 as of today and I've got a slight problem. Fresh install due to intermitent winXP problem I've been having ;0) and I've set the keymap to swedish.iso.kbd. When I first log in to multi-user mode it seems to accept this (though umlauts etc. don't work, the rest of the keys are where their supposed to be). So I installed X and XFCE 4.2(.2?) and added startxfce4 to .xinitrc and fired her up, only to find standard english as the de facto standard everywhere.

Now, my suspicion is that there's a seperate place to set these things for X or XFCE, but googling just gives you a TON of garbage posts and I'm STILL not any good at getting information like this out of man/apropos/find. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!! I'll post any config's etc. that you may deem necesary, oh wise and wonderful guru's!

Atlas
May 31st, 2005, 16:17
I grabbed this from a Japanese site, so since I don't speak Japanese (let alone read it), take it with a grain of salt:

$ mkdir -p ~/.themes/xfwm4/custom.keys/
$ cp /usr/local/share/xfwm4/themes/default.keys/keythemerc ~/.themes/xfwm4/custom.keys/
$ vi ~/.themes/xfwm4/custom.keys/keythemerc

Then open the window manager settings dialog, go to the 'keyboard and focus' tab and choose your new key theme.

I assume you could just copy in any GTK-compliant key mapping instead of the XFCE default (and the XFCE default may not live in that path on FreeBSD, so you may need to hunt around some anyway). Good luck!

Pleeb0101
June 1st, 2005, 10:59
Hey!

Looked into that, doesn't seem to be exactly what I need. BUT, i did find a (VERY) old site(freebsd 2.21) that pointed out XkbLayout "se" and the LANG and MM_CHARSET env-vars and I'll be trying that out later today. :0) I'll report any success....

Pleeb0101
June 4th, 2005, 06:11
Problem solved!
I added the following to my .profile:
LANG=sv_SE.ISO_8859-1
export LANG
MM_CHARSET=ISO-8859-1
export MM_CHARSET
LC_COLLATE=sv_SE.ISO_8859-1
export LC_COLLATE
LC_CTYPE=sv_SE.ISO_8859-1
export LC_CTYPE
LC_MESSAGES=sv_SE.ISO_8859-1
export LC_CTYPE

I occasionally get locale not supported by Clibrary. Using the fallback 'C' locale.
which I haven't a clue what it means, but it WORKS at least... ;0)