Pleeb0101
June 22nd, 2005, 07:24
Hello!

I've been trying to get GDM working as I like the "flashier" way it has when compared to XDM, but it seems to really miss Gnome. I run XFCE, and despite startxfce4 in all the different files the man page says it looks in the only thing I get is the safe-mode xterm login, no matter what I try!

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Should this work at all? Is there a better graphical login that I've never heard of that'll rock my socks off?

Thanks in advance!

molotov
June 22nd, 2005, 09:47
KDM perhaps?

I dont know, I -think- it possible, I have a Fedora machine here at work that uses GDM to login to TWM. At least I think its GDM, so it is possible...

Good luck? (:

Strog
June 22nd, 2005, 10:57
GDM is definitely the prettiest of the logins I've seen. You have to add sessions to the config to be able to start other window managers but it's not that bad. You will need to create a .desktop file for each wm/desktop you want to add in the /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Sessions/ directory.

Here's a sample (let's call it kde3.desktop) for you so you know the format:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=KDE
Comment=KDE 3.4.0
Exec=startkde
Icon=
Type=Application

Make sure these files have a chmod of 755 or GDM might ignore them.

Pleeb0101
June 23rd, 2005, 13:56
Thank you! The directory that did it was /etc/X11/sessions, but otherwise it worked just like you said!

Strog
June 23rd, 2005, 15:43
Thank you! The directory that did it was /etc/X11/sessions, but otherwise it worked just like you said!

Funny, I cvsup'ed my ports and did a full portupgrade before I installed gdm and I don't have any directories in /etc/X11. I haven't been using gdm for a while but I'll have to keep this info in mind for the next time I'm looking to "pretty up" an install. :wink: