soup4you2
January 26th, 2003, 13:17
Ok... Here's my question.... for OpenBSD what web browsers do you all prefer? i finally installed OBSD on a spare parition last ngiht got X and fluxbox up and running.. now i wanted to get a browser (Other than lynx) to read up on some documentation.. but when i went to install mozilla it said the package was broke and would not let me install it.. any suggestions on a diffrent browser or suggestions to get mozilla to work?

v902
January 26th, 2003, 13:40
compile links (I think it's like .97 version now) from source and do:

./configure --enable-graphics --enable-javascript;make;make install (may need to do gmake) and use links -g forgraphical browsing from CLI :shock:

Also use Galeon from X, but it depends on Mozilla :cry:

socomm
January 26th, 2003, 16:23
EDIT: :lol: sorry

v902
January 26th, 2003, 16:33
EDIT: it's alright =)

frisco
January 26th, 2003, 18:49
i run mozilla 1.3a on x86, OpenBSD 3.2-stable

go to mozilla.org and download that src. configure with:

./configure --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-debug --enable-crypto --enable-strip

then make and make install. takes a while to compile, but it does work.

soup4you2
January 27th, 2003, 19:36
thank you verry much frisco..... i'll try that out later on.... i need to reinstall obsd i guess because i said screw this when i could not even get a web browser to work...... but i would also imagine it's more for a server os than a play one like fbsd

frisco
January 27th, 2003, 20:34
a couple things i forgot/messed up on-

change that make to gmake - you'll need install it either from port or package.
pkg_add -v ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.2/packages/i386/gmake-3.79.1.tgz

you'll also need to install gtk from port or package.
pkg_add -v ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.2/packages/i386/gtk+-1.2.10p1.tgz

i think that's all. by the time i got around to compiling mozilla, i'd already installed a bunch of ports, and i'm forgetful sometimes. if you reach any errors, let me know and we should be able to figure it out.

but i would also imagine it's more for a server os than a play one like fbsd

i dunno, i use it as my desktop at work and at home. it's definitely more of a roll-up-your-sleeve and get down-and-dirty OS, independant of how you use it.

soup4you2
January 27th, 2003, 22:08
it's definitely more of a roll-up-your-sleeve and get down-and-dirty OS

And thats the way we like 'em...

screw that warm and fuzzy feeling... :D

elmore
January 27th, 2003, 22:32
Oh you'll get a warm and fuzzy allright. Just wait until you accomplish something that few others have with the O.S. The afterglow is something that will stay with you for a while.

Well, at least until you talk to someone that's done something beyond what you've just accomplished and then.... It's back to the grindstone.

v902
January 27th, 2003, 23:34
And of course elmore is bringing that warm and fuzziness to us :lol:

schotty
January 28th, 2003, 18:03
i'd prefer warm and fuzzy over blue and dead.

elmore
February 10th, 2003, 12:19
Hey frisco this worked great on my OBSD 3.2-stable box. I did have to add zip, unzip, and autoconf. Those packages are in the ports though. Most people probably already have them installed.

frisco
February 11th, 2003, 09:59
one more thing i forgot (!)

you need to edit the file security/nss/lib/freebl/unix_rand.c
search for the first occurence of DARWIN, and after it on the same line add: || defined(OPENBSD)

if you don't do that your browser will probably crash when you submit forms (which really really sucks).

installing 1.3b,

frisco
February 20th, 2003, 12:43
if anyone is trying to compile mozilla on -current, it seems you need to turn off propolice as well by setting CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to -fno-stack-protector

i've also heard there are also some issues with pthreads, but i dont yet have a working mozilla on -current (though i've heard it is doable). once i get a working mozilla, i'll post an update on what to do.

soup4you2
February 21st, 2003, 09:21
Does openbsd have linux compatability?

can we use krusty's howto in a way for obsd?

frisco
February 21st, 2003, 09:35
Does openbsd have linux compatability?
yes.

can we use krusty's howto in a way for obsd?
i'm not sure where that howto is, but compat_linux(8) should help.

frisco
February 21st, 2003, 10:05
for mozilla 1.3b and OpenBSD 3.3-beta (2/18), these steps should work.

1- install packages that mozilla requires. these include gtk and gmake and i'm not sure what else. compile errors later on should clue you in to what other packages you need.

2- get the source, ungzip/untar it.

3- edit a couple files in that source.
in security/nss/lib/freebl/unix_rand.c look for the first occurence of DARWIN and add ' || defined(OPENBSD) to that line. it should look like:
|| defined(NETBSD) || defined(NTO) || defined(DARWIN) || defined(OPENBSD)

in directory/c-sdk/ldap/libraries/libldap/Makefile.in look for the first occurence of OpenBSD and edit the line after it by removing -lc_r the lines should look like:
ifeq ($(OS_ARCH), OpenBSD)
EXTRA_LIBS = -L$(dist_libdir) -l$(LBER_LIBNAME)
endif

(only the middle line needs editing)

4- set 2 env variables. CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS need to be set to -fno-stack-protector:
export CFLAGS=-fno-stack-protector
export CXXFLAGS=-fno-stack-protector

yes this means that code to detect stack overflows is not included in mozilla.

5- configure as before, with:
./configure --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-debug --enable-crypto --enable-strip

6- compile:
gmake

if you encounter any compile errors, they are probably from a package you need to install. read through the last 20 or so lines of ouput to see where the error was and fix it.

7- install:
gmake install

you can test before install. `cd dist` and try running bin/mozilla
if you had a previous installation of the same version of mozilla on this machine, you may need to delete it before moving on:
rm -r /usr/local/lib/mozilla-1.3b
rm -r /usr/local/include/mozilla-1.3b

you should now have a working mozilla. many thanks to STeve Andre for his help.

It takes about 1.5-2 hours to build on my VIA C3/800mhz. you may find it useful to use script(1) or redirect output to another file. this lets you know what you did and provides a rough estimate of how much longer a compile will take - just the 'gmake' left me with 22219 lines.

frisco
March 17th, 2003, 12:57
a couple more notes:
the above works for the 1.3 release as well.

you may want to add some/all of the following to your ./configure line:
--disable-composer --disable-mailnews --enable-optimize=-O2

the first two disable components i don't use, the last enables optimization.

here's a comparison of what top reports right after mozilla starts, on binaries compiled with different options:

generic:
12292 frisco 2 0 42M 33M sleep poll 0:03 6.49% mozilla-bin
optimized:
20487 frisco 2 0 31M 26M sleep poll 0:01 0.49% mozilla-bin
optimized minus news/mail, composer:
1473 frisco 2 0 27M 25M sleep poll 0:01 2.54% mozilla-bin

that's a 26% smaller footprint with optimization (31M vs. 42M) and a 35% smaller footprint with all three options (27M vs. 42M)

edited to add these useful links:
Jolan's mozilla port in the works. Has invaluable info on mozilla on openbsd:
http://www.cryptonomicon.org/ports/openbsd.html

Another site about mozilla on openbsd:
http://schubert.cx/etc/mozilla.html

One more site with great info:
http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~cannings/openbsd/

plus there are some useful deadly.org stories and misc@ posts if you look for them.

marco_peereboom
August 7th, 2003, 02:12
I use phoenix.

Find the binaries on my site for:
3.3 http://www.peereboom.us/firebird/
3.2 http://www.peereboom.us/firebird_32/

Download all files into a directory and install it with pkg_add mozilla-firebird-0.6.tgz

Have fun.
/marco

Strog
August 7th, 2003, 10:21
Very nice marco_peereboom

8)

Kernel_Killer
October 31st, 2003, 22:51
Oh you'll get a warm and fuzzy allright. Just wait until you accomplish something that few others have with the O.S. The afterglow is something that will stay with you for a while.

Well, at least until you talk to someone that's done something beyond what you've just accomplished and then.... It's back to the grindstone.

Or something no one has done... Elmore must have a permenant grin from ear-to-ear.

Yes, the lack of an X11 browser to compile from the ports is a PITA, but definatly a huge accomplishment. Soooo....anyone got Java, Flash, Mplayer plugin, and AA fonts working on Mozilla yet? :D

molotov
November 3rd, 2003, 11:59
Errr... I installed it via ports, via a post i found on deadly.org

cd /usr;
export or set CVSROOT=anoncvs@favoritecvsserver:/cvs
cvs update -P ports/www/mozilla
or
cvs co -P ports/www/mozilla
comment out the BROKEN line in the Makefile.

from the post on deadly.org I used to get my zilla to run.

Kernel_Killer
November 3rd, 2003, 17:44
Mozilla seemed to be a bit of a pain. Used Soup's HOW-TO and got it going. Along with that I went the Firebird route, and all was well with the source.

Vile
December 21st, 2003, 15:12
Has no one used Opera??? It is really fast and has some prettifying features, supports tabbed browing, mouse gestures (very nice), etc

Of course you could install KDE (installing via packages is the way to go) and konqueror comes with that. I have also used Dillo. Dillo is very small, very fast, and very very basic.
http://www.dillo.org/ (it is in ports)

http://www.krytosvirus.com/images/dillo1.jpg