Dragon12
August 8th, 2005, 00:59
I was trying to install 4.0 binaries on my laptop w/ 5.4, but during the install my roomate thought it would be fun to play with the circuit breakers in the house and I lost power during the install and it messed every thing up. So I reinstalled 5.4 and now X won't start the way it did previously. I followed the instructions that is listed in the FreeBSD handbook but to no avail. The error I get is :

Fatal server error:
Sever is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "myhostname:0" in remove command
waiting for X server to shutdown
xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "myhostname:0" in remove command

I did try http://wiki.X.org and they suggested "ps aux | grep 'cat /tmp/X0.lock'" to see if the server was running but it was not in the list. "rm -rf /tmp/X0.lock" seemed to remove it but I still have the same problem.
I also did a search on google and saw that a number of people have had the same problem but no sulution to the problem. Xdm just keeps looping after I sign in.
I want my fluxbox back!
Any help would be greatly apprecated.

Dragon12
August 8th, 2005, 14:56
In an odd way I managed to solve the problem. I reinstalled the O/S and did not use Xorg -configure and the like, this time, lo and behold everything works! Everything seemed to work "out of the box" so to speak. Don't know why, but I'll take it.

optyk
August 8th, 2005, 19:07
Excerpt from the Xorg manpage:
Starting with version 4.4, Xorg has a mechanism for automatically
generating a built-in configuration at run-time when no xorg.conf file
is present.

However, if you want to modify any tunables you will need to generate a config. If everything works like you want then congrats ;)

Dragon12
August 8th, 2005, 19:29
Thanks for the info, when I went to the page I only looked for what was relevalent to me at the time. I should start reading ALL of it. Live and learn I guess. X0rg is a BIG improvment over XFree86. The funny thing is I rememeber following what was listed in the FreeBSD handbook last time.