jeraklo
October 5th, 2005, 06:31
Posted from osnews.com: "BSDForums interviews (http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35212) FreeBSD Release Engineering Team's Scott Long relating to various aspects of FreeBSD. Topics discussed include FreeBSD general issues, its academic roots, how FreeBSD compares to other BSDs - OpenBSD, NetBSD, and the ongoing debate on FreeBSD vs. Linux. Scott gives us his perspective on the corporate adoption and popularity of FreeBSD. He brings us up to speed on FreeBSD 6.0, its new features and enhancements, including Apple G4 PowerMac, AMD64 and wireless compatibility. Scott also discusses FreeBSD 6.0's upgrade path and release timetable."

Strog
October 5th, 2005, 09:29
This one is for you phateon:

What is the scheduled date for FreeBSD 6.0, what do you have left to do before you can authorize its release ?

We are absolutely committed to making 6.0 be an excellent, stable, and fast release. Because of this, the release date has slipped from lateAugust while more bugs get fixed. Automated stability testing ramped up in July, and we've been using the results of that to fix some pretty serious and long-standing bugs recently. I think that 6.0 is going to be better than the typical ".0" releases that everyone fears. But to answer your question, 6.0-RC1 will be released at the end of this week, and my hope is that it goes well and is followed by 6.0-RELEASE a week or two after that.

I'm guessing if it's more than a week that you'll be asking on IRC again. :biggrin: (it's all in fun for those of you who haven't been hanging out on IRC).

bmw
October 5th, 2005, 19:37
Strog! You didn't put *** Spoiler Warning ***

:-)

phaeton
October 5th, 2005, 22:35
Strog, you know that I'm just going to hound you nonstop anyways now, right?

;)

phaeton
October 11th, 2005, 14:35
Pappa Strog! Are we There Yet(tm)?

Seriously... what RC are we at? :D

optyk
October 11th, 2005, 18:10
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/6.0/6.0-RC1-i386-disc1.iso