LooseChanj
December 16th, 2005, 23:25
Anyone have any idea when the limit's getting raised? I know it's somewhere over 80 gigs, but 150 or so is too big. :mad:

Strog
December 17th, 2005, 01:39
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/core/fncc_fil_tvjq.asp

Windows 98 can create a 127.53 GB partition using the updated fdisk utility. Windows 2000/XP can only create 32GB fat32 partitions but they can use up to the 127.53GB partitions created by Windows 98. The theoretical max is 2 Terabytes but I don't think I'd trust that much data to fat32.

Is this being used for compatibility between OSes? You should stick with the limitations of the lowest common denominator in the senario. You may be able to create a larger with volume with FreeBSD but the Windows tools (scandisk, fdisk, etc.) can't support more than the 127.53GB limit and could easily scramble your data.

LooseChanj
December 17th, 2005, 11:44
Yeah, it's pretty much the shared drive for "media", mp3s and such. I dunno where you got your windows clue, but the drive in question is 200gigs. Created with ghost.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm gonna have trouble getting fbsd *AND* openbsd to see the drive. But that's a whole other issue.

Strog
December 17th, 2005, 16:58
Yeah, it's pretty much the shared drive for "media", mp3s and such. I dunno where you got your windows clue, but the drive in question is 200gigs. Created with ghost.

You neglected to mention what you were doing with this so I figured I better put the potential issues out there. If you ever do put the drive in a Windows machine, it should read/write just fine. Just remember not to let scandisk, chkdsk, etc. touch the drive if you value your data. OpenBSD and FreeBSD do change the scenario if they are the only OSes involved. :wink:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm gonna have trouble getting fbsd *AND* openbsd to see the drive. But that's a whole other issue.

Both should handle the size of the filesystem just fine. Typically OpenBSD will show the fat32 partition as partition i (i.e. /dev/wd1i) and FreeBSD will show it as an entire slice without partitions ( i.e. /dev/ad1s1 instead of /dev/ad1s1a). Just use type msdos on OpenBSD and msdosfs on FreeBSD and it should work fine right out of the box.

One thing to keep in mind when mounting a non-native filesystem is that it will inherit the permissions of the mount point for all of that filesystem. If it's read-write then it's all read-write all the way down. Not really a big deal in this case since you'll probably want the entire collection the same but just make sure the user(s) that access it have the perms you want on the mount point. :biggrin:

LooseChanj
December 19th, 2005, 08:43
What happened to me a while ago was OpenBSD couldn't see "wd1i", and freebsd could. So I edited the disktab and ooops, freebsd (which was on that disk) wouldn't boot! Installed fbsd on another hdd (I have three in this box) and it couldn't see anything but the openbsd partitions.

Btw, this box boots a rather absurd number of operating systems, a few of which are windows. There's a reason it's named "sybil".

Also, I discovered the joys of disktab -t>>/etc/disktab, which let me access the new 200gig partition just fine and dandy from OpenBSD after editing "unknown" to "msdos" or whatever it was.