php111
April 18th, 2006, 19:28
hello everyone, I'm new here. Is this the right place and the right thread for beginners?

What is the most friendiest Unix there is and the easiest for a total beginner? Or Unix is not right for me? How would i partiton it and everything as a triple boot? If you want to know what OS's i want please just ask me

molotov
April 18th, 2006, 19:40
This place is as good as any for beginners.

This is a BSD forum, hence most people here are going to recommend a BSD flavor. If youre good at reading and understanding documentation, then BSD will probably be right for you.

Paritioning depends largely with what youd like to do on each partition as well as the size of the drive. Post some more details and Im sure people can offer recommendations.

I know a couple people here use GAG (http://gag.sf.net), but I've usually kept it to one OS per machine so I don't have a great deal of experience with it.

Hope this helps you get started

Kernel_Killer
April 18th, 2006, 19:58
If you want to start with BSD, you should start with FreeBSD. Not only is it quite versatile for all users, the online handbook covers almost every topic for any beginning user, including doing multiple partitions, and installing along side with other operating systems.

php111
April 19th, 2006, 17:29
If you want to start with BSD, you should start with FreeBSD. Not only is it quite versatile for all users, the online handbook covers almost every topic for any beginning user, including doing multiple partitions, and installing along side with other operating systems.

Ok thank you so much. I remember trying FreeBSD a while back but it was confusing. I basically wanted it as an OS to mess around with. The 2 OS's i want along with BSD we don't cover here but i will tell you so you can better assist me. Windows XP and MS-DOS 6.22

Strog
April 20th, 2006, 10:27
If you want to triple boot then you should install the OSes in the order that will cause the least headache. Start with DOS since it knows nothing of multi-booting and then go with Windows since it will blow away the boot sector without asking and finally put FreeBSD on last and install the boot manager. While you can put DOS and Windows on the partition, you'll be better off in the long run making seperate partitions for them. Play around with it until you are comfortable with the install before you go on to configuring your OSes. Never hurts to have a spare drive/machine that you don't mind blowing away to try it all out.

Check the Howto's forum (http://www.screamingelectron.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15) for Bumbler's series calleded Clueless User. They are several howtos on getting a new user up to speed on FreeBSD with various tasks. The FreeBSD Handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/) is a wonderful resource and I'd highly recomend reading through it a time or two. There's a certain amount of learning that you'll get by doing. Reading up ahead of time helps you wrap your head around it and things will click when you do it.

Dragon12
April 23rd, 2006, 23:05
If you are useing a laptop/desktop type hardware you may want to try PCBSD. It's the easiest to install & get up and running while still allowing for the functionality of FreeBSD.
From my experiance, it seems to be better suited for the beginner that wants to get a desktop/laptop up and running quickly and learn how to use a BSD type OS. It's easy to update, easy to install apps (some anyway, they have some apps "ported" to PCBSD). Check out www.pcbsd.org for more info.