Kernel_Killer
February 10th, 2003, 20:46
Well, I picked up a DC for super cheap the other day for a game. Little did I know that NetBSD was proted to it. ANyone ever done this b4? Seems like a pain in the ass unless you jerry-rig a HDD to it.

bsdjunkie
February 10th, 2003, 21:41
You can boot off the netbsd cd and that works ok. Then you can NFS mount a drive from another box. The linux port has come quite a bit further IMHO and i have had it running with Xmame going fine =) I was one of the lucky guys who snagged a broadband adaptor when they frist came out. :roll:

Kernel_Killer
February 10th, 2003, 22:01
Yeah. I'm on a quest to find one myself. Local game shops probably have one somewhere. :P

bsdjunkie
February 10th, 2003, 23:09
good luck, im willing to bet that the adaptor will cost a LOT more than the DC if you happen to find it ;)

Kernel_Killer
February 11th, 2003, 00:14
Probably so, but less than buying from eBay. :P

Kernel_Killer
February 11th, 2003, 03:28
SO I could make a part of my FreeBSD box's HDD usable for the bastardized NetBSD? If so, I think I just might try it out. :wink:

soup4you2
February 11th, 2003, 10:59
anybody know how to get the dreamcast to use freebsd?

bsdjunkie
February 11th, 2003, 12:21
I dont think FBSD has a port to it. There were rumors of people porting obsd to it from the netbsd branch, but have not heard anything on this in quite awhile as well. I think for the time being its net or linux.

soup4you2
February 11th, 2003, 13:43
guess i should look around for a KB, mouse and nic for my DC

bsdjunkie
February 11th, 2003, 15:44
you can find the keyboards and mouse for CHEAP online or at stores like EB that may have some left over in stock. The NIC will cost you at least twice waht you can buy a new DC for.

Strog
February 11th, 2003, 16:13
Soup:
The Hitachi SuperH SH-4 CPU is in there and there's no port of FreeBSD to that processor family (likely won't be either). I'd agree with bsdjunkie, the OpenBSD port has mostly been preliminary stuff and nothing since then that I'm aware of. Brings you back to either NetBSD or Linux when you aren't playing games.

There's a good howto on the NetBSD Dreamcast port page (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/dreamcast/) that has you basically put enough to boot on the CD and netboot the rest off an NFS machine. I think it would be better to netboot the kernel than putting it on the CD so you could update and tweak it easier.

Kernel_Killer:
The good thing about this is you are using your NFS server for all your hard drive needs so whatever you have available on your FreeBSD box could be available to your Dreamcast box if you want.

If you want just console access then you could track a serial cable down cheaper than the broadband NIC. You could just do a serial connection into your favorite box. X is up and running on some people's Dreamcasts but still might be a little rough. A Dreamcast would make a sweet little xterminal with a xdmcp to an xserver.

A good site to check out for running a terminal server is the Linux Terminal Server Project (http://www.ltsp.org). While they might be using Linux for the server, they have run NetBSD and LinuxPPC off of it and the basics are all the same (DHCP server, TFTP server, NFS server). You can get some real good ideas for setting up a Dreamcast terminal client. I really like some of the hacks people there have put together. One person setup NFS, TFTP and DHCP servers on their Windows 2000 Terminal server. They net booted the clients to Linux and fired up rdesktop (a *nix windows terminal client http://www.rdesktop.org) to connect to the server. They had some linux clients and didn't have to buy a bunch of windows licenses for the clinet machines.

Kernel_Killer
February 11th, 2003, 21:17
Well, the NIC has more than networking purposes for HDD space. Eventually, I would probably want to play games online on here, and be able to go through my router, rather than through the FreeBSD box.

Kernel_Killer
February 14th, 2003, 23:38
Think I'll save the cash, and get a new NIC for the Mac. :P